Cyber war targets Middle East oil companies

Advertisement
By Press Trust of India | Updated: 22 October 2012 14:24 IST
Middle Eastern oil and gas companies have been targeted in massive attacks on their computer networks in an increasingly open cyber war where a new virus was discovered just this past week.

The United States and Israel, believed to behind the first cyber sabotage campaign that targeted Iran's nuclear programme, are now worried about becoming targeted themselves.

"There have been increasing efforts to carry out cyberattacks on Israel's computer infrastructure," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said earlier this month, without giving details.

Netanyahu spoke just days after Washington issued a veiled warning to Iran over digital attacks and outlined a new digital warfare doctrine.

Advertisement

US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta also referred publicly for the first time about the "Shamoon" virus that hit Saudi Arabia's state oil company Aramco in August, disabling more than 300,000 computers.

Advertisement

The virus also hit Rasgas, a joint venture between US oil firm Exxon Mobil Corp and state-controlled Qatar Petroleum.

Panetta called the sophisticated virus "the most destructive attack that the private sector has seen to date."

Advertisement

It took Aramco, the world's biggest oil company, two weeks after the August 15 attack to restore its main internal network, but the group said that oil production had not been disrupted.

However the threat that digital attacks could cripple vital infrastructure is real, with Panetta warning of the possibility of a "cyber-Pearl Harbor" to justify a policy of moving aggressively against threats.

Advertisement

A disruption to Saudi Arabia's oil exports could cause oil prices to spike from their already elevated prices and tip the fragile global economy into recession.

In what was interpreted as a veiled threat against Iran, Panetta said the US military "has developed the capability to conduct effective operations to counter (cyber) threats to our national interests."

A senior US administration official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told AFP the cyber attack on the Gulf oil giants was believed to be carried out by a "state actor" and acknowledged that Iran would be a prime suspect.

US officials have "more than a suspicion" that Iran was to blame for the August attacks, said James Lewis, who has worked for the State Department and other government agencies on national security and cyber issues and who is now a senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies think tank.

He said the US authorities were used to cyber espionage from Russia and China, but were surprised by the swift rise in Iran's digital warfare capability.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  3. WhatsApp's New Feature Allows New Members to View Past Group Messages
  4. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  5. Samsung Galaxy A37, Galaxy A57 India Launch Timeline, Specifications Tipped; Spotted on IM
  6. Poco X8 Pro Series Display, Chipset, Battery Details Leak Online
  7. First User Report of iPhone Air's C1X Modem Failure Surfaces Online
  8. Google Chrome Now Lets You Annotate PDFs, View Tabs in Split View
  9. The Elder Scrolls 6 Will Return to Bethesda's 'Classic Style'
  10. Samsung's One UI 8.5 Update Will Bring These Useful Upgrades to Bixby
  1. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  2. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  3. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  4. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
  5. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online: Expected Price, Features
  6. Sony to Shut Down Demon's Souls Remake Developer Bluepoint Games in March
  7. Amazfit T-Rex Ultra 2 Launched With BioTracker 6.0 Sensor, 1.5-Inch AMOLED Display
  8. iPhone Air User Complains of C1X Modem Failure, Claims Mobile Diagnostics Suggests Hardware Issue
  9. Redmi Buds 8 Active Price, Design, Key Features Leaked Ahead of Anticipated Launch
  10. Samsung's One UI 8.5 Update Will Introduce Upgraded Bixby With Natural Voice Commands, Real-Time Web Access
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.