Google Walkout Organizer Quits Over Alleged Retaliation

Claire Stapleton was a co-organizer of the Google walkout, which lasted more than an hour.

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 8 June 2019 11:13 IST
Highlights
  • Stapleton's team was given a "Culture Award" by Google management
  • Google claims it "found no evidence of retaliation" against Stapleton
  • Google employees had organised walkouts in November 2018

Claire Stapleton, who helped organize major Google walkouts in late 2018, said she was resigning

Photo Credit: Bryan R. Smith / AFP

A Google worker who helped organize a massive walkout to protest the company's handling of sexual misconduct said Friday she had quit her job. In a post at Medium, Claire Stapleton said her decision to resign was based on her expecting another child but also because she was marked for retaliation by department heads after the walkout late last year.

"If I stayed, I didn't just worry that there'd be more public flogging, shunning, and stress, I expected it," Stapleton said.

"Life is extremely short and realistically we only have a couple of years left until the world hurtles into climate apocalypse or some other paroxysm of our own doing."

Advertisement

Google told AFP that it thoroughly investigated Stapleton's claims and found no evidence that she was targeted for retaliation in the workplace.

Advertisement

Stapleton's team was given a "Culture Award" by management for her role in the walkout, according to the California-based internet company.

"To reiterate, we don't tolerate retaliation," Google said in response to an AFP inquiry.

Advertisement

"Our employee relations team did a thorough investigation of her claims and found no evidence of retaliation."

Google employees poured out of buildings at the company's Mountain View campus in November, filling courtyards and patios in solidarity with co-workers who staged similar demonstrations at offices in countries around the world to protest the company's handling of sexual misconduct

Advertisement

Stapleton was a co-organizer of the walkout, which lasted more than an hour.

The protest took shape after Google said that it had fired 48 employees in the prior two years -- including 13 senior executives -- as a result of allegations of sexual misconduct, citing "an increasingly hard line" on inappropriate conduct.

One senior Google employee, Android creator Andy Rubin, was reported to have received an exit package worth $90 million as he faced allegations of misconduct. Rubin has denied the allegations and claimed he was the victim of a "smear campaign."

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. After The Hunt Is Streaming Online: Know All About Julia Robert's Thriller Movie
  2. NASA Confirms Third Interstellar Visitor 3I/ATLAS Is a Natural Comet
  1. New Study Models How Interstellar Objects Could Approach and Impact Earth
  2. NASA Confirms Third Interstellar Visitor 3I/ATLAS Is a Natural Comet
  3. Nagin Season 7 OTT Release: When and Where to Watch the Popular Supernatural Drama
  4. After The Hunt Is Streaming Online Now: Know All About Julia Robert’s Thriller Movie
  5. Milon Hobe Koto Dine OTT Release: When, Where to Watch the Solanki Roy Romance Drama Series
  6. Dies Irae OTT Release: When, Where to Watch Pranav Mohanlal’s Horror Thriller Online
  7. Thamma OTT Release: When, Where to Watch Ayushmann Khurrana's Horror Comedy
  8. Regai Is Streaming Now: Where to Watch the Tamil Mystery Drama Online
  9. NASA Steps In to Support ESA’s Rosalind Franklin Rover Ahead of 2028 Mars Launch
  10. Coffee Waste Could Make Concrete Stronger and Greener, Scientists Find
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2025. All rights reserved.