BlackBerry Completes Restructuring Process; Back on Growth Footing

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 5 August 2014 12:26 IST

BlackBerry Ltd has concluded a protracted and painful restructuring process and is back on a growth footing, according to an internal memo to all its employees viewed by Reuters.

"We have completed the restructuring notification process, and the workforce reduction that began three years ago is now behind us," said the memo from BlackBerry's Chief Executive John Chen that was sent out on Friday.

"More importantly, barring any unexpected downturns in the market, we will be adding headcount in certain areas such as product development, sales and customer service, beginning in modest numbers," said Chen, who personally thanked those that have stayed with the company through the process.

Advertisement

BlackBerry has shrunk its workforce by roughly 60 percent over the last three years as it attempts to reinvent itself. The company that dominated the smartphone market in its infancy has seen its sales dramatically eroded over the last four years by Apple's iPhone and a slew of rival devices powered by Google Inc's Android operating system.

Advertisement

Chen, who took the reins at BlackBerry roughly eight months ago, has moved rapidly to stabilize the company by selling non-core assets, partnering to make the company's manufacturing and supply chain more efficient, and raising cash via the sale of the company's extensive real estate holdings in its hometown of Waterloo, Ontario.

Chen, a well-regarded turnaround artist in the tech sector, intends to remain a competitor in the smartphone arena, but is focused on reshaping the company to build on its core strengths in areas like mobile data security and mobile device management.

Advertisement

(Also See: BlackBerry Boosts Security Credentials with Secusmart Acquisition)

In the memo, Chen told employees that he believes BlackBerry is now well on its way to recovery and that he is confident the company will meet its goal of being cash flow positive by the end of the current fiscal year.

Advertisement

He noted also BlackBerry, which had previously said it was trimming its workforce down to 7,000 from a peak of over 17,500 in 2011, is now in a position to make strategic acquisitions to strengthen areas that are likely to drive future revenue growth.

Last week, BlackBerry announced one such deal with a move to acquire Secusmart, a privately-held German firm specializing in voice and data encryption. The deal is expected to burnish its credentials with some of its highly security-conscious clients like government agencies.

Chen, who is well known for having turned around enterprise software maker Sybase Inc in the late 1990s, told employees in the memo that he is confident BlackBerry now has the right organization and team in place to execute its business strategy.

Over the last few months, Chen has hired a number of former Sybase employees that helped engineer that turnaround before the company was sold to software giant SAP AG in 2010.

Chen stressed in the memo there was "no margin for error to complete BlackBerry's turnaround to success", and he called on employees to remain focused as the company rolls out an upgrade to its device management system and its new Passport and Classic devices this fall.

© Thomson Reuters 2014

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement
Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Anthropic's First Indian Office in Bengaluru Is Now Open
  3. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  4. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  5. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  6. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  7. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  8. This Govt-Approved Rs. 10,000 Crore Scheme to Bolster Indian Startups
  1. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  2. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  3. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  4. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  5. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  6. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
  7. Tecno Spark 50 4G Tipped to Launch Globally Soon; Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  8. Lava Bold N2 India Launch Date Revealed; Will Be Exclusively Available via Amazon
  9. Government Green Lights Rs. 10,000 Crore Fund of Funds 2.0 Under the Startup India Mission
  10. Samsung’s 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Revealed via Leaked One UI 9 Animations
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.