Hacking Team Says Suspects Foreign Government Was Behind Mass Attack

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 13 July 2015 10:42 IST
Italian cyber-security firm Hacking Team said a government might have been behind a massive hack of its systems and warned that the subsequent leaking of its computer codes could prove a field day for criminals.

Unknown hackers last week downloaded 400GB of data from the firm, which makes surveillance software that allows law enforcement and intelligence agencies to tap into the phones and computers of suspects.

Much of the data, including thousands of private corporate emails, has since been dumped onto the Wikileaks website. The source code of a number of its top secret programmes has also been published online.

"Given its complexity, I think that the attack must have been carried out at a government level, or by someone who has huge funds at their disposal," David Vincenzetti, the CEO of Hacking Team, told Sunday's La Stampa newspaper.

Advertisement

He did not speculate on who it might have been.

(Also see:  UPA Was Client of Controversial Italian Spyware Firm, Claim Leaked Mails)

The company has advised clients to halt their use of its programmes until they can upgrade the compromised software, but warned that all computer systems might now be vulnerable.

"Hacking Team's investigation has determined that sufficient code was released to permit anyone to deploy the software against any target of their choice," the company said in a statement on its Internet site.

Advertisement

"Terrorists, extortionists and others can deploy this technology at will if they have the technical ability to do so."

The same site still prominently promotes its now exposed products: "Total control over your targets. Log everything you need. Always. Anywhere they are," it says.

Advertisement

The leaked emails show that the Hacking Team worked with numerous state institutions in an array of countries, including Italy, the United States and Australia.

It also had dealings with countries criticised for their human rights records, such as Libya, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kazakhstan, Morocco, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia and Sudan.

Advertisement

Breaking his silence almost a week after the hack was uncovered, Vincenzetti defended his choice of clients, saying he had never broken international trade law.

He said that when his firm realised Ethiopia was using its software to spy on a journalist, it asked for an explanation and then ended the contract.

The 12-year-old Hacking Team was named as one of five private-sector "Corporate Enemies of the Internet" in a 2012 report by Reporters Without Borders.

© Thomson Reuters 2015

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  3. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  4. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  5. Poco X8 Pro Series Display, Chipset, Battery Details Leak Online
  6. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  7. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  8. Hello Bachhon Set for OTT Release on Netflix: See Details
  9. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  1. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  2. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  3. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  4. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  5. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  6. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  7. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  8. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  9. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  10. Theatre: The Myth of Reality OTT Release: Where to Watch Kerala Film Critics Award-Winning Movie Online?
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.