Man Rescued by Disney Ship Is Charged in Hospital Hacking

Advertisement
By Associated Press | Updated: 18 February 2016 13:00 IST
A Massachusetts man under investigation in the hacking of a Boston hospital was rescued from a sailboat off the coast of Cuba by a Disney cruise ship and arrested Wednesday, weeks after relatives told police they had last heard from him, authorities said.

Martin Gottesfeld and his wife made a distress call Tuesday from a sailboat and were picked up by the nearby ship, federal prosecutors said.

Gottesfeld, 31, of Somerville, was arrested Wednesday on a conspiracy charge after the Disney ship returned to Miami. He's charged in a 2014 computer attack at Boston Children's Hospital in the name of the hacking group Anonymous.

Prosecutors say the FBI searched Gottesfeld's home in 2014, so he knew about the federal investigation.

Advertisement

Last week, the FBI learned that Somerville police did not find Gottesfeld during a well-being check at his apartment after his employer and family members reported they hadn't heard from him in weeks.

Advertisement

Then on Tuesday, an FBI agent in the Bahamas called the FBI's Boston office to report that Gottesfeld and his wife were on a Disney Cruise Line ship in the Bahamas after being picked up not far from Cuba. The couple had luggage and three laptop computers with them.

Authorities say the computer attack was in protest of the hospital's treatment of Justina Pelletier, a Connecticut teenager who was at the center of a custody dispute based on conflicting medical diagnoses.

Advertisement

Tufts Medical Center had treated Justina for mitochondrial disease, a disorder that affects cellular energy production. But Boston Children's Hospital later diagnosed her problems as psychiatric. When Justina's parents rejected that diagnosis and tried to take her back to Tufts, the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families took custody of her, setting off a bitter dispute.

Justina's case drew national media attention as various groups cited it as an example of governmental interference with parental rights.

Advertisement

An affidavit filed in court by an FBI agent said that on March 23, 2014, a video was posted on YouTube calling for action against a Massachusetts hospital in response to its treatment of her. The girl was not identified in the FBI affidavit, but Children's Hospital confirmed at the time that its computer network had been attacked over the Pelletier case.

The video was narrated by a computer-generated voice and stated that Anonymous "will punish all those held accountable and will not relent until (Justina) is free."

The video directed viewers to a posting on the website that contained necessary information about the hospital's server to initiate an attack against it.

On April 19, 2014, the hospital reported an attack against the server identified in the posting. The attack disrupted the hospital's network, took its website out of service and cost more than $300,000 to respond to and mitigate, according to the affidavit.

During a search of his home in October 2014, Gottesfeld admitted posting the video but denied participating in any attacks, the FBI agent said in an affidavit.

Tor Ekeland, a New York attorney who represents Gottesfeld, declined to comment, saying he hadn't had a chance to review the criminal complaint or speak to Gottesfeld.

Gottesfeld is charged with conspiracy to intentionally cause damage to protected computers. During an initial appearance Wednesday in US District Court in Miami, he agreed to voluntary detention pending a hearing in US District Court in Boston. No date has been set yet for that hearing.

Representatives for Children's Hospital and Disney Cruise Line did not return calls seeking comment.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  3. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  4. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  5. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Lands on IMEI Database, Could Launch Soon
  7. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  8. Anthropic's First Indian Office in Bengaluru Is Now Open
  9. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.