BlackBerry plans widespread job cuts as Z30 flagship launches: Report

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 19 September 2013 10:17 IST
BlackBerry Ltd plans to slash thousands of jobs by the end of the year, the Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday, just as the company launches a flagship smartphone intended to revive its fortunes.

Citing unnamed people familiar with the matter, the article said BlackBerry could cut up to 40 percent of its staff and the layoffs will happen across job functions and likely occur in waves.

Blackberry, which once dominated the corporate smartphone arena, has struggled in recent years to staunch loss of market share to such rivals as Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd.

The company, which previously warned that job cuts were in the offing, declined to comment on the Journal's report or the magnitude of potential layoffs. It employed 12,700 people as of March, and once had almost 20,000 employees.

"We will not comment on rumours and speculation," said BlackBerry spokesman Adam Emery. "We are in the second phase of our transformation plan. Organizational moves will continue to occur to ensure we have the right people in the right roles to drive new opportunities."

The report comes on the same day the Canadian company introduced the "Z30," a top-of-the-line smartphone intended to help the one-time industry pioneer wrestle its way back into the intensely competitive smartphone market.

Investors have grown increasingly nervous about BlackBerry's future as its market position crumbles. The company said last month it was weighing options that could include an outright sale, in the face of persistently lackluster sales of devices that run on the BlackBerry 10 operating system.

"Clearly the game is over for them, though it's coming a little quicker than I expected," said Charter Equity analyst Edward Snyder. "Cutting half your staff, that's pretty much the end for them."

Snyder said the cuts illustrate BlackBerry's slipping financial and market position, and that a sale is now the best option as the industry is uninterested in new BlackBerry devices.

"You can put out the most amazing phone in the world, and it wouldn't matter," he said.

The long-rumored Z30 device, unveiled at an event in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, will take the crown as BlackBerry's highest-end device from the smaller Z10, launched earlier this year.

The touchscreen device, which boasts a five-inch display and a 1.7 gigahertz processor, will compete against the likes of Apple Inc's iPhone 5S and Samsung Electronics Co's Galaxy S4, along with a slew of other devices that are powered by Google Inc's Android platform.

Advertisement

BlackBerry also said its popular BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) instant chat application will be available for rival iPhone and Android devices this weekend.

Once a unique tool for sending short messages without running up charges for them, BBM now competes with mobile instant messaging products from Facebook , Apple and others, and less directly with micro-blogging service Twitter.

Advertisement

Android users will be able to download the application on Saturday, while iPhone users can get it on Sunday.

Former BlackBerry co-Chief Executive Jim Balsillie left the company after his earlier plan to make BBM more broadly available was blocked by executives fearful that would eat into BlackBerry handset sales.

Advertisement

Lack of clarity
BlackBerry faces a battle generating interest in the new phone, however, given the lack of certainty about its future.

Wells Fargo analyst Maynard Um said the success of the Z30 would depend on carrier availability, pricing and the pace of consumer adoption.

Advertisement

"While the Z30 helps to bring the focus back to the fundamental business, we believe investors' attention is focused on a potential take-out," Um wrote in a note to clients.

The company has long aspired to make its BlackBerry 10 operating system the No. 3 smartphone platform in the market, but the latest industry data indicates that Microsoft Corp's Windows Phone platform is more likely to clinch that spot as its devices continue to gain ground.

Although the new line of BlackBerry devices has been well received by reviewers, analysts say the company lacks the financial heft to take on the likes of Apple, Google, Samsung and Microsoft, which boast massive budgets for marketing and research and development.

Some analysts contend that Microsoft's move earlier this month to acquire Nokia's phone business and license its patents for $7.3 billion poses another hurdle for BlackBerry, as the software maker is likely to redouble its catch-up efforts in the mobile device business.

But Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry, which is set to report its fiscal second-quarter results next week, appears to be sticking with its product road map for now, even as it reviews its alternatives.

The company, which touts the Z30 as its "biggest, fastest and most advanced smartphone" to date, said the device will begin to hit store shelves in the UK and parts of the Middle East as early as next week.

The smartphone will go on sale with select carriers and retailers in other regions over the remainder of the year, said the company, adding that specific pricing and availability will be announced by its partners at the time of their respective launches.

Shares of BlackBerry fell 2.2 percent, or 24 Canadian cents, to end regular trading at C$10.64 on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

© Thomson Reuters 2013

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: BlackBerry, BlackBerry Z30, RIM, downsizing
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  2. Anthropic's First Indian Office in Bengaluru Is Now Open
  3. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  4. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  5. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  6. X Will Soon Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  7. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  8. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  9. This Govt-Approved Rs. 10,000 Crore Scheme to Bolster Indian Startups
  10. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  1. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  2. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  3. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  4. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  5. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  6. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
  7. Tecno Spark 50 4G Tipped to Launch Globally Soon; Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  8. Lava Bold N2 India Launch Date Revealed; Will Be Exclusively Available via Amazon
  9. Government Green Lights Rs. 10,000 Crore Fund of Funds 2.0 Under the Startup India Mission
  10. Samsung’s 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Revealed via Leaked One UI 9 Animations
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.