TikTok Parent ByteDance Working Flat Out for 'Best Outcome': Report

The US government has said the Chinese-owned company is a national security threat -- allegations that TikTok denies.

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 3 August 2020 19:25 IST
Highlights
  • Microsoft aims to wrap up discussions "no later than September 15"
  • President Donald Trump said last week he would ban TikTok
  • The US government has said ByteDance is a national security threat

ByteDance founder said his teams are working round the clock to find the best outcome for TikTok

Photo Credit: Reuters

The founder of ByteDance, which owns social media giant TikTok, said Monday his teams were working around-the-clock "for the best outcome" as talks on the sale of its US operation to Microsoft continue, Chinese media reported.

TikTok, popular in the United States and widely used by young people who create, share and watch short videos on the platform -- is the latest target in a wide-ranging trade war between Beijing and Washington.

The US government has said the Chinese-owned company is a national security threat -- allegations that TikTok denies.

Advertisement

"In the current environment, we faced the real possibility of a forced sale of TikTok's US business... or an executive order banning the app," ByteDance founder Zhang Yiming wrote in a message to all the company's staff, tech news outlet Pandaily reported.

Advertisement

"While we encounter mounting complexities across the geopolitical landscape and significant external pressure, our response teams have been working around-the-clock and giving up their weekends over the past few weeks to ensure the best possible outcome".

Microsoft said Sunday it would continue talks to buy the US operations of TikTok, which has an estimated one billion users worldwide.

Advertisement

The tech giant added it aimed to wrap up discussions "no later than September 15."

President Donald Trump said last week he would ban the app, but since appears to have backed away from the threat, which caused great concern for US users -- particularly content creators who make money on the platform.

Advertisement

Many have posted links to their Instagram or YouTube accounts to avoid losing followers if the platform is ultimately blocked.

Zhang said he disagreed with forcing TikTok to offload its US service.

"We have always been committed to ensuring user data security, as well as the platform neutrality and transparency," he said.

"Given the current circumstances, we must also confront the CFIUS (Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States) decision and the executive order of the President of the United States, without giving up exploring any possibilities."


Is Nord the iPhone SE of the OnePlus world? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.

Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: TikTok, ByteDance, Microsoft
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  3. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  4. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  5. Poco X8 Pro, X8 Pro Max Colour Options, Design Leaked Online
  6. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  7. Top Colour Laserjet Printers for Students and Professionals in India
  8. Poco X8 Pro Series Display, Chipset, Battery Details Leak Online
  9. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  10. Hello Bachhon Set for OTT Release on Netflix: See Details
  1. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  2. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  3. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  4. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  5. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  6. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  7. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  8. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  9. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  10. Theatre: The Myth of Reality OTT Release: Where to Watch Kerala Film Critics Award-Winning Movie Online?
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.