US Intelligence Chief Says China Top Suspect in Government Hacks

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 26 June 2015 10:50 IST
U.S. intelligence chief James Clapper said on Thursday that China was the top suspect in the massive hacking of a U.S. government agency that compromised the personnel records of millions of Americans.

The comments from Clapper, the director of National Intelligence (DNI), were first reported in The Wall Street Journal and marked the first time the Obama administration has publicly accused Beijing of the hacking attacks on the Office of Personnel Management.

"You have to kind of salute the Chinese for what they did," given the difficulty of the intrusion, the Journal quoted Clapper as saying at a Washington intelligence conference.

In a statement, Clapper's office confirmed that he had identified China as a leading suspect, although it said the U.S. government investigation was ongoing.

Advertisement

U.S. officials have previously blamed the attacks on Chinese hackers, though not publicly. White House spokesman Josh Earnest on Thursday declined to comment on any potential suspects.

Advertisement

OPM Director Katherine Archuleta told the Senate Homeland Security Committee on Thursday that personnel data of 4.2 million current and former federal employees was compromised in one security breach and that another attack, targeting those applying for security clearances, had affected millions more.

Some media have reported that as many as 18 million Americans could have been affected.

Advertisement

Clapper's comments came a day after the conclusion of three days of high-level talks between China and the United States in Washington at which cyber-security figured prominently.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Wednesday there had been no U.S. "finger-pointing" during those meetings about cybertheft "and whether or not it was actioned by government, or whether it was hackers, or individuals the government has the ability to prosecute."

Advertisement

Kerry also said, however, the U.S. side had made "crystal clear" that cybertheft was not acceptable. He said the United States believed there was a need to work with China to develop a "code of conduct" on state behaviour in cyberspace and that China had agreed.

"It's something that we agreed needs to be addressed and hopefully it can be addressed soon," State Department spokesman John Kirby said on Thursday.

White House spokesman Earnest cautioned against guessing at what response the United States might take against those responsible for the attacks. "If there is a response, it's probably not one we are likely to telegraph in advance," he said.

The Journal cited Clapper as saying the U.S. government and American companies would continue to be targets until policymakers addressed the "lack of deterrents."

Clapper said the absence of a U.S. threat to respond to hacking attacks meant Washington had to put its focus instead on defence, the newspaper reported.

China has dismissed as "irresponsible and unscientific" any suggestion that it was behind the hacking. China's top diplomat, State Councillor Yang Jiechi, said after Wednesday's talks that the two countries should work together on cyber-security.

© Thomson Reuters 2015

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  3. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  4. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  5. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Lands on IMEI Database, Could Launch Soon
  7. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  8. Anthropic's First Indian Office in Bengaluru Is Now Open
  9. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.