SpaceX Crew Dragon Demo-2: Weather Iffy for SpaceX Astronaut Launch

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket is set to take off at 02:03am IST (20:33 GMT, Wednesday) on Thursday, from Launch Pad 39A, with the Crew Dragon capsule at its top.

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 26 May 2020 10:30 IST
Highlights
  • Only two vessels have docked at the ISS since 1998
  • The weather forecast remains unfavourable for launch
  • The next launch window would be Saturday, May 30

The capsule will be crewed by Robert Behnken, 49, and Douglas Hurley, 53

Aside from a threat of bad weather, NASA and SpaceX confirmed Monday that everything is all-systems-go for their upcoming rocket launch with two American astronauts. Scheduled for Wednesday, the launch to the International Space Station will be the first US crewed space launch in nine years.

 

"NASA and @SpaceX officials have given the 'go' for the launch on a mission that will return human spaceflight to the US," NASA tweeted, after another day of launch readiness review meetings, according to the space agency's strict protocol for manned flights.

 

 

Advertisement

A so-called static fire test and a dress rehearsal for the astronauts in their spacesuits went well on Friday and Saturday, officials said.

Advertisement

"Now the only thing we need to do is figure out how to control the weather," said Kathy Lueders, the manager of NASA's Commercial Crew Program, during a briefing at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket is set to take off at 02:03 am IST (2033 GMT, Wednesday) on Thursday, from Launch Pad 39A, with the Crew Dragon capsule at its top.

Advertisement

 

 

The capsule will be crewed by Robert Behnken, 49, and Douglas Hurley, 53, both veteran space travellers.

Advertisement

The weather forecast remains unfavourable, with a 60 percent chance of bad conditions, according to Cape Canaveral forecasters.

The next launch window would be Saturday, May 30.

But Mike McAleenan, a forecaster at the Cape Canaveral military base, said there is "some hope" for Wednesday: Florida weather has been changing rapidly as of late. A new forecast will be released Tuesday.

A NASA spokesman, Joshua Finch, told AFP that the calculated "loss of crew" probability for the mission is one in 276, which is above the minimum threshold required by NASA -- one in 270.

Only two vessels, developed by Russian and American space agencies, have docked at the ISS since the beginning of its assembly in 1998.

In 2014, NASA awarded contracts to two private companies: industry giant Boeing and the then-young SpaceX, founded by 30-year-old South African Elon Musk, who made his fortune in Silicon Valley with the startup PayPal.

The contract was to design and build capsules that would take over from the American space shuttles, which were shut down in 2011 after 30 years of service.

Since then, Russia has had the only rocket in the world capable of sending astronauts to the ISS -- the Soyuz -- and the US has paid Russia for seats on it.

This dependence will end once NASA certifies either Crew Dragon or Boeing's Starliner as safe.


Is Redmi Note 9 Pro Max the best affordable camera phone in India? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  3. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  4. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  5. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Lands on IMEI Database, Could Launch Soon
  7. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  8. Anthropic's First Indian Office in Bengaluru Is Now Open
  9. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.