Zoom Hires Ex-Facebook Security Chief as Google Bans Desktop App

That backlash includes a move on Wednesday by Alphabet's Google to ban the desktop version of Zoom from corporate laptops.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 9 April 2020 11:00 IST
Highlights
  • Zoom has tapped Alex Stamos as an adviser
  • Safety and privacy concerns about Zoom have recently grown
  • Google has banned desktop version of Zoom from corporate laptops

Alex Stamos had called on Zoom to be more transparent in March

Zoom Video Communications has tapped former Facebook security chief Alex Stamos as an adviser as safety and privacy concerns about its fast-growing video-conferencing app drive a global backlash against the company.

That backlash includes a move on Wednesday by Alphabet's Google to ban the desktop version of Zoom from corporate laptops.

In a stark illustration of Zoom's security issues, officials at Berkeley High School in California said they suspended use of the app after a "naked adult male using racial slurs" intruded on what the school said was a password-protected meeting on Zoom, according to a letter to parents seen by Reuters.

Advertisement

Taiwan and Germany have already put restrictions on Zoom's use, while Elon Musk's SpaceX has banned the app over security concerns. The company also faces a class-action lawsuit.

Advertisement

A Berkeley school district spokeswoman said it was possible a password had been shared, allowing the intrusion. But she added that the entire district was putting Zoom on pause for at least "a few days" to consider how to use and train for video-conferencing.

Coronavirus lockdowns have driven a surge in Zoom usage, even as concerns have grown over its lack of end-to-end encryption of meeting sessions, routing of traffic through China and "zoombombing," when uninvited guests crash meetings.

Advertisement

Zoom shares were up 3.8 percent in late trade on Wednesday after shedding a third in value over the previous 10 days.

Zoom attracted users with its ease of use, as well as a free offering. Many schools around the world also started using it for online classes.

Advertisement

In a series of tweets in late March, Stamos called on Zoom to be more transparent and roll out a 30-day security plan. That led to the platform's founder and Chief Executive Officer Eric Yuan asking him to weigh in as an outside consultant.

"Zoom has some important work to do in core application security, cryptographic design and infrastructure security, and I'm looking forward to working with Zoom's engineering teams on those projects," Stamos, now an adjunct professor at Stanford University, wrote in a blog post on Wednesday. Stamos said on Twitter he would be a paid consultant to Zoom.

Brent Stephens, superintendent of Berkeley Unified School District, told Reuters the teacher involved in the Zoom incident Tuesday had been trained on security measures and appeared to have used them. But an imposter gained access to the waiting room using a pseudonym close enough to a real name to trick the teacher, who removed the intruder and reported the incident.

Stephens said the district was now evaluating whether a competing product from Google, whose software the district uses for other functions, could prevent similar incidents in the future.

"Rather than shift from one platform to another, we wanted to take a pause," Stephens said, "and not run the risk to student safety."

On Wednesday, Google said it was taking Zoom off workers' computers because of security concerns. A Google spokesman said employees could still use the mobile and browser-based versions of Zoom.

To address security concerns, Zoom has embarked on a 90-day plan and has formed a CISO Council, which includes chief information security officers of HSBC, NTT Data, Procore and Ellie Mae, to discuss about privacy, security and technology issues.

It has also set up a board to advise Yuan on privacy issues. The initial members include executives from VMware, Netflix, Uber, and Electronic Arts.

Zoom, which competes with Microsoft's Teams and Cisco's Webex, has seen daily users jump to 200 million from 10 million and the stock surged to a record high in March.


OnePlus 8 leaks look exciting but when will the phones launch in India? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Zoom, Alex Stamos
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Tipster Leaks Details of the Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Cameras
  2. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  3. Samsung Galaxy S26 Series Roundup: Here's Everything That We Know So Far
  1. Phil Spencer Retires as Microsoft Names AI Executive Asha Sharma as Gaming CEO in Xbox Shake-Up
  2. Astronomers Find ‘Impossible’ Galaxy ACDG-2 With Virtually No Stars and a Massive Dark Matter Core
  3. Google Pixel Call Recording Reportedly Available in Additional Regions Ahead of Global Expansion
  4. Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Leak: Tipster Shares Details of Anticipated 200-Megapixel Cameras
  5. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  6. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  7. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  8. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  9. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  10. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.