Hacker Charged for WannaCry Attack Does Not Exist: North Korea

Advertisement
By Indo-Asian News Service | Updated: 15 September 2018 20:02 IST

The North Korean Foreign Affairs Ministry has claimed that a hacker allegedly responsible for debilitating cyber-attacks against Sony and the global WannaCry ransomware outbreak does not exist, media reported.

The statement came after the US Department of Justice (DoJ) last week indicted Park Jin Hyok, the North Korean hacker, for being reportedly responsible for the series of attacks.

US officials said that Park is believed to be a member of North Korea's military intelligence outfit the Reconnaissance General Bureau, as well as a suspected member of Lazarus, a hacking group which has been linked to a string of attacks against everything from banks to government agencies, ZDNet reported on Friday.

However, if North Korea is to be believed, the hacker is nothing more than a figment of the US law enforcement's imagination, the report added.

Advertisement

In a statement on Friday, Han Yong Song, an official at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said that Park is a "non-entity" and "the act of cyber crimes mentioned by the Justice Department has nothing to do with us."

The ministry added that any allegations of cyber-espionage or hacking are nothing more than "vicious slander" and a "smear campaign" which has the potential to disrupt talks between US President Donald Trump and North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un.

Advertisement

"The US should seriously ponder over the negative consequences of circulating falsehoods and inciting antagonism against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) that may affect the implementation of the joint statement adopted at the DPRK-US summit," the official was quoted as saying by the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

The WannaCry ransomware outbreak is a more recent cyber-attack which caused extensive damage and disruption to businesses and organizations worldwide.

Advertisement

The ransomware, which leveraged vulnerabilities in the Windows file-sharing protocol Server Message Block (SMB), compromised an estimated 3,00,000 PCs worldwide and struck organizations including the UK's National Health Service (NHS), US hospitals and banks.

The total financial losses have been pegged at $4 billion.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Cyber-attack
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. How Much RAM Do You Really Need in a Smartphone?
  2. OLED vs QLED vs Mini LED: Which TV Should You Buy?
  1. MANTRA Halts Network Transactions Following Unspecified Incident
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Renders Leak Again, Suggesting Three Colour Options
  3. Poco X8 Power, Poco X8 India Launch Timeline, Key Features Leaked
  4. Xbox Series X25 Limited Edition Console Will Reportedly Cost EUR 899.99, Launch on November 27
  5. Bhutan Transfers 490 Bitcoin Worth $32.7 Million to Fresh Addresses
  6. Vivo X500 Pro Series Model Allegedly Spotted in the Wild Ahead of China Launch
  7. Qualcomm’s Upcoming Flagship Snapdragon Chipset Names Tipped Ahead of Launch
  8. Lava Virat V1 Pro 5G India Launch Date Confirmed, Key Specifications Leaked
  9. Vivo T5 5G India Launch Confirmed; Flipkart Availability, 3D Curved Display Teased
  10. AI Is Key Smartphone Buying Factor for 82 Percent of Indian Consumers, Shows Amazon Survey
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.