Huawei Allegations Driven by Politics, Not Evidence: UN Telecoms Chief

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 6 April 2019 10:12 IST
Highlights
  • Zhao said there is no proof so far on malicious activities by Huawei
  • He further advocated for Huawei to be given equal opportunities
  • The ITU secretary general labelled the blacklistng as unfair

ITU's secretary-general says concerns regarding Huawei equipment are driven by politics

U.S. security concerns about 5G mobile networks built by Chinese telecoms giant Huawei appear to be driven by politics and trade rather than any evidence, the head of the U.N. internet and telecoms agency said on Friday.

Houlin Zhao, secretary-general of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), told reporters in Geneva that security of 5G networks was in everybody's interest but so far he had not seen anything to substantiate claims about Huawei.

"Those preoccupations with Huawei's equipment, up to now there is no proof so far," Zhao said.

Advertisement

The United States has urged its allies to ban Huawei from building 5G networks, saying it could be used for espionage. Huawei has rubbished the allegations, saying Washington had a "loser's attitude".

Advertisement

"I would encourage Huawei to be given equal opportunities to bid for business, and during the operational process, if you find anything wrong, then you can charge them and accuse them," the Chinese-born Zhao said. "But if we don't have anything then to put them on the blacklist – I think this is not fair."

Zhao was speaking on the day South Korea's Samsung Electronics won the race to commercially launch 5G services, saying 5G-enabled smartphone Galaxy S10 would allow games to be played with minimal delay, potentially changing the landscape of the gaming industry.

Advertisement

Zhao said it was in the interest of telecoms companies to ensure that they were using secure hardware, because otherwise they could face a challenge by national authorities or a public backlash against using their services.

"So it's their first concern, their first target, to make sure that the systems they use in the market will provide service satisfaction to them."

Advertisement

The ITU will hold a meeting in October to finalise standards for the 5G spectrum, but concerns about Huawei will not slow down that process, Zhao said.

The ITU also has a study group of national experts looking into security.

"Up to now we don't have any proposal from anybody on 5G security concerns there," Zhao said.

The study group includes an official from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security as well as an official from Chinese telecoms firm ZTE Corp.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Huawei
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  2. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  3. Kingdom Come: Deliverance Gets a Next-Gen Update on PS5, Xbox Series S/X
  4. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  5. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.