PUBG Mobile May Remain Banned in India Despite Tencent Licence Withdrawal

PUBG Mobile, a popular online multiplayer battle game, was among 118 Chinese-origin apps banned by New Delhi earlier this month.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 26 September 2020 10:57 IST
Highlights
  • PUBG Corp recently took publishing rights from Tencent Games in India
  • The company is closely reviewing India's concerns
  • PUBG Mobile ban was widely seen as a way to pressure Chinese companies

PUBG Corp has been in talks with Jio Platforms to bring PUBG Mobile back to India

India is unlikely to revoke a ban on the mobile version of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) following PUBG Corp's decision to withdraw the mobile game's publishing rights in the country from China's Tencent, a senior government official said on Friday.

PUBG Mobile, a popular online multiplayer battle game, was among 118 Chinese-origin apps banned by New Delhi earlier this month.

Advertisement

That led PUBG Corp, the unit of the South Korean firm behind the game, to announce it would no longer give Tencent Games the rights to publish the game in India. It also said it was exploring ways to provide gaming experiences to Indian users in future.

The new ownership structure is, however, unlikely to change things immediately, said the source, declining to be named as he was not authorised to speak to the media.

Advertisement

"The violent nature of the game has been the cause of many complaints from all quarters," the source said. "That does not change with the change in ownership rights."

A spokeswoman for PUBG Corp in South Korea said the company was closely reviewing India's concerns and that it was ready to work on anything that needed improvement.

Advertisement

The company has also been in talks with Jio Platforms, the digital unit of Indian conglomerate Reliance Industries, to bring the game back in its biggest market by users.

"We had initial talks with Jio Platforms to seek for cooperation opportunities, but nothing has been decided yet," the PUBG spokeswoman told Reuters.

Advertisement

Reliance did not respond to a request for comment.

While officially New Delhi says it has banned the apps because they collect user data and pose a threat to national security, the move is widely seen as a way to pressure Chinese tech companies following a months-long standoff between India and China along a disputed Himalayan border.

© Thomson Reuters 2020


Should the government explain why Chinese apps were banned? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.

Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Airtel's Priority Postpaid Becomes India's First 5G Network Slicing Service
  2. Moto G37, Moto G37 Power Launched in India With These Features
  3. Google IO 2026: Here's Everything That Was Announced During the Event
  4. Redmi Turbo 5 India Launch Timeline, Key Features Leaked
  5. Amazon's New Fire TV Stick HD Brings Xbox Cloud Gaming Experience
  6. Gemini 3.5 Series AI Models, Gemini Omni Unveiled at Google I/O 2026
  7. Vivo S60 Launch Date Announced; Company Reveals Design and Key Details
  1. Google I/O 2026: Docs Live Brings Gemini Voice AI to Gmail, Docs and Keep
  2. Google IO 2026: Here’s Everything That Was Announced From Gemini 3.5 Flash to Gemini Omni
  3. Google I/O 2026: Google, Samsung Showcase Gemini-Powered Android XR Smart Glasses
  4. Google I/O 2026: Gemini Omni for AI Videos, Gemini 3.5 Series Models Unveiled
  5. Google I/O 2026: Gemini Spark Brings Agentic Experiences Across Google Docs, Slides and More Apps
  6. Massive Solar Storm Reveals How Mars Is Losing Its Atmosphere
  7. Samsung Galaxy S27 Series Tipped to Include New Pro Model; Galaxy S27 Ultra Said to Offer Hardware Upgrades
  8. Redmi Turbo 5 India Launch Timeline Leaked, Tipped to Retain Same Features as Chinese Variant
  9. Airtel Introduces Priority Postpaid With India's First 5G Network Slicing Starting at Rs. 449
  10. Echo Protocol Exploit Sees Hacker Mint Unauthorised eBTC Worth $76.7 Million
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.