Elon Musk ‘Slow-Walking’ Trial Over $44 Billion Deal, Twitter Claims

Twitter said if Musk is ordered to close the deal it could still take months of additional litigation to close the debt financing, which expires in April.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 19 July 2022 10:59 IST
Highlights
  • Musk said Twitter is rushing trial to obscure truth about spam accounts
  • The two sides will make their arguments on Tuesday
  • Twitter's stock closed on Monday at $38.41, up 1.8 percent

Twitter asked the judge to reject Musk's proposal to hold the trial in February

Photo Credit: Oliver Douliery/ AFP

Twitter on Monday accused Elon Musk of trying to "slow walk" the company's lawsuit to hold him to his $44 billion (roughly Rs. 3,51,500 crore) takeover and urged a September trial to ensure deal financing remains in place, according to a court filing. "Millions of Twitter shares trade daily under a cloud of Musk-created doubt," the company wrote. "No public company of this size and scale has ever had to bear these uncertainties." Twitter has sued Musk and asked a Delaware judge to order him to complete the merger at the agreed price of $54.20 (roughly Rs. 4,300) per share.

The company said if Musk is ordered to close the deal it could still take months of additional litigation to close the debt financing, which expires in April. For that reason, Twitter asked the judge to reject Musk's proposal to hold the trial in February.

Musk, who is the world's richest person and chief executive of electric carmaker Tesla, accused San Francisco-based Twitter of rushing the trial to obscure the truth about spam accounts and to "railroad" him into buying the company.

Advertisement

The two sides will make their arguments about the trial's proposed start date to a Delaware Court of Chancery judge on Tuesday.

Advertisement

The New York Post reported on Monday that Musk's lawyers are planning to countersue Twitter to gather more information about spam accounts.

Shares of Twitter have fallen from more than $50 (roughly Rs. 4,000) per share when the deal was announced in April to below $33 (roughly Rs. 2,600) a share last week. Twitter's stock closed on Monday at $38.41 (roughly Rs. 3,000), up 1.8 percent.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, the US Securities and Exchange Commission sent a letter to Elon Musk last month asking for clarification over some of the tweets the billionaire sent about his $44 billion (nearly Rs. 3,51,500 crore) deal for Twitter, according to regulatory filings.

The US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) asked Musk in a letter whether he should have amended his public filing to reflect his intention to suspend or abandon the deal, according to the June 2 letter.

Advertisement

The agency was referring to his May 17 tweet in which he said the "deal cannot move forward" until Twitter provided more data about how the company handled fake accounts.

The letter shows the SEC has been tracking Musk's statements on the blockbuster deal, increasing pressure on the Tesla boss who has been locked in a feud with the SEC over his tweets about Tesla since 2018. The agency already has several open probes into Musk, according to court filings and media reports.

© Thomson Reuters 2022


Noise co-founder Amit Khatri joins Orbital, the Gadgets 360 podcast, for a special episode. Orbital is available on Spotify, Gaana, JioSaavn, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music and wherever you get your podcasts.
Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Elon Buy Twitter, Elon Musk, Twitter, Tesla, SEC
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  4. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  5. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.