TikTok US Ruling: Biden Administration Asks Courts to Dismiss Government Appeals

US President Joe Biden withdrew a series of executive orders that sought to ban new downloads of WeChat, TikTok, and other Chinese apps.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 13 July 2021 12:58 IST
Highlights
  • The government's legal challenges were now moot
  • The government said it was in talks with lawyers for the WeChat users
  • Biden order directed Commerce Department to monitor software applications

The Commerce Department on June 22 formally withdrew a list of prohibited transactions with TikTok

The Biden administration on Monday asked two federal appeals courts to dismiss the Justice Department's legal challenges to court rulings that barred a Trump-era effort to ban new downloads of Chinese-owned video-sharing app TikTok.

Last month, President Joe Biden withdrew a series of executive orders issued by former President Donald Trump that sought to ban new downloads of WeChat, TikTok, and other Chinese apps and ordered a new review.

The Commerce Department on June 22 formally withdrew a list of prohibited transactions with ByteDance-owned TikTok and Tencent-owned WeChat issued in September that sought to bar downloads of the apps.

Advertisement

The Justice Department said Monday that the government's legal challenges were now moot. It asked the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia and the Third Circuit to dismiss its appeals.

Advertisement

Separately, the Justice Department said in a filing with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals that it had not decided how to proceed in its appeal of a lower court ruling blocking restrictions on WeChat that the Trump administration had sought to put in place.

The government said it was in talks with lawyers for the WeChat users who had filed suit "about appropriate next steps in this appeal." The government plans to inform the court about its decision by July 26.

Advertisement

During Donald Trump's presidency, the Commerce Department had also sought to bar other transactions that would have effectively banned WeChat's use in the United States and later sought similar restrictions that would have barred TikTok's use. Courts blocked all those restrictions from taking effect.

The Biden order directed the Commerce Department to monitor software applications like TikTok that could affect US national security, as well as to make recommendations within 120 days to protect US data acquired or accessible by companies controlled by foreign adversaries.

Advertisement

Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo told Reuters in a June 28 interview that the department was "just getting started" with its review that will include an "evidence-based" analysis.

"The whole point of the executive order is to take really strong steps to protect Americans' data from collection and utilization by foreign adversaries," Raimondo said.

Biden's executive order also revoked another Trump order signed in January that targeted eight other communications and financial technology software applications.

That Trump order directed officials to ban transactions with eight Chinese apps, including Ant Group's Alipay and Tencent's QQ Wallet and WeChat pay. No bans were issued.

A separate US national security review of TikTok, launched in late 2019, remains active.

© Thomson Reuters 2021


What is the best phone to buy right now? We discussed this on Orbital, the Gadgets 360 podcast. Orbital is available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music and wherever you get your podcasts.
Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: TikTok, WeChat, Alipay, Tencent, ByteDance
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  3. Anthropic's First Indian Office in Bengaluru Is Now Open
  4. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  5. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  6. AMD and TCS Partner on Rack-Scale AI and HPC Infrastructure
  7. X Will Soon Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  8. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  9. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  10. Samsung's 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Spotted in Leaked One UI 9 Animations
  1. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  2. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  3. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  4. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  5. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  6. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  7. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
  8. Tecno Spark 50 4G Tipped to Launch Globally Soon; Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  9. Lava Bold N2 India Launch Date Revealed; Will Be Exclusively Available via Amazon
  10. Government Green Lights Rs. 10,000 Crore Fund of Funds 2.0 Under the Startup India Mission
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.