Telecom panel to discuss tower installation in Naxal areas by March-end

Advertisement
By Press Trust of India | Updated: 18 March 2014 16:14 IST
The Telecom Commission, an inter-ministerial panel, is likely to meet at the end of March to discuss the issue of installing mobile towers in naxal-affected areas in nine states.

"The DoT committee studying the subject is expected to submit its report next week. The Telecom Commission should probably meet in last week of this month," a Department of Telecommunications (DoT) official told PTI.

Soon after a Maoist attack last year at Bastar in Chhattisgarh, in which 27 people were killed, including senior Congress leaders, the Cabinet had approved setting up mobile towers at a cost of around Rs. 3,046 crores in nine states affected by naxal violence to improve communication in those areas.

Naxals last week had ambushed a security team killing 15 people in Chhattisgarh, in a chilling reminder of the 2010 massacre in which 76 security personnel were killed in the same area in the worst-hit Sukma district.

( Also see : BSNL to install mobile towers in naxal-hit areas by end of 2014 )

The mobile towers, which have been a long-pending demand of the Home Ministry, will strengthen the telecom network in areas facing security challenges.

Advertisement

These areas are spread across nine states - Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Odisha and Uttar Pradesh.

The project was to be completed by June but its progress is stuck due to wrong estimates by the Department of Telecom, sources said.

Advertisement

State-owned BSNL was asked to set up towers at 2,199 locations in the nine states in 12 months from the date CCEA approved the project.

( Also see : BSNL to open bids for solar-powered 2G mobile towers in Naxal areas: Report )

The state-run telecom firm has brought this "arithmetical error" to the DoT's notice and omission of other necessary equipment for rolling out the project.

Advertisement

There is a difference of about Rs. 789 crores between the actual requirement submitted by BSNL and the project budget approved by the Cabinet, according to sources.

The Telecom Commission has to take a call on it and due to higher revised estimates and inclusion of certain items, the project may have to be again placed before Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, sources said.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. How Much RAM Do You Really Need in a Smartphone?
  2. OLED vs QLED vs Mini LED: Which TV Should You Buy?
  1. MANTRA Halts Network Transactions Following Unspecified Incident
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Renders Leak Again, Suggesting Three Colour Options
  3. Poco X8 Power, Poco X8 India Launch Timeline, Key Features Leaked
  4. Xbox Series X25 Limited Edition Console Will Reportedly Cost EUR 899.99, Launch on November 27
  5. Bhutan Transfers 490 Bitcoin Worth $32.7 Million to Fresh Addresses
  6. Vivo X500 Pro Series Model Allegedly Spotted in the Wild Ahead of China Launch
  7. Qualcomm’s Upcoming Flagship Snapdragon Chipset Names Tipped Ahead of Launch
  8. Lava Virat V1 Pro 5G India Launch Date Confirmed, Key Specifications Leaked
  9. Vivo T5 5G India Launch Confirmed; Flipkart Availability, 3D Curved Display Teased
  10. AI Is Key Smartphone Buying Factor for 82 Percent of Indian Consumers, Shows Amazon Survey
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.