X-Men: Dark Phoenix Is ‘Natural Culmination’ of Fox’s Run, Says Director Simon Kinberg

Advertisement
By Akhil Arora | Updated: 2 April 2019 11:31 IST
Highlights
  • X-Men: Dark Phoenix is out June 7, 2019
  • Kinberg originally wanted it to be start of new trilogy
  • He now sees it as ‘culmination for this cycle of X-Men’

Simon Kinberg, Michael Fassbender on the sets of X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Photo Credit: Doane Gregory/Twentieth Century Fox

Though X-Men: Dark Phoenix writer-director Simon Kinberg had originally intended his upcoming film to be the start of a new trilogy — at least way back in mid-2016 — he has claimed in a new interview that he always saw Dark Phoenix to be “the natural culmination for this cycle of X-Men movies”. That's good news for the franchise given its studio Fox's recent acquisition by Disney, which might naturally hit the reset button on X-Men as it plans to integrate its heroes into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

“From the beginning of conceiving what we were going to do with this film and writing it, which was three plus years ago — so long before there was a Disney merger — I felt like this was the natural culmination for this cycle of X-Men movies,” Kinberg told ComicBook.com over the weekend. “Because it is seeing this family that you've come to love and know for how ever many films, and if you count the originals almost 20 years now, you see that family tested in a whole new way. You see that family start to fall apart in a real way for the first time, ultimately come back together.

“That felt like the culmination of a storyline or a cycle of these films. And for me, and for most of the fans […] Dark Phoenix is the ultimate and most iconic storyline in the X-Men universe. And so I didn't know how we would top Dark Phoenix within this cycle. This felt like we had to earn our way back to Dark Phoenix. And I feel like we did hopefully, and beyond that, felt like we'd want to sort of create an ending and the possibility of a new beginning. And that's what we do on this film.”

Advertisement

In its nearly two decades, the X-Men franchise has been through ups and downs. The original trilogy, releasing from 2000 to 2006, produced two well-received entries — X-Men and X2 — before culminating in the disastrous X-Men: The Last Stand, for which Kinberg (then just a writer) has apologised in the past. In 2011, director Matthew Vaughn soft-rebooted the universe with the joyous X-Men: First Class, before we got a critically-lauded X-Men: Days of Future Past in 2014. It all went to waste with the ghastly X-Men: Apocalypse in 2016, something Dark Phoenix will look to bounce from.

Advertisement

The popularity of the X-Men has given rise to several spin-offs, including three for Hugh Jackman's Wolverine — which gave us the brilliant Logan in 2017 — and two successful outings for Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool, who had never appeared in the mainline films. While the adult-only Deadpool is rumoured to live outside the MCU, the rest of the characters are expected to be included sooner rather than later, given Disney completed its Fox acquisition late last month. Meanwhile, plans for all other X-Men spin-off have reportedly been put on hold.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is out June 7, 2019, followed by the horror spin-off The New Mutants on August 2, 2019.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  4. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  5. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  6. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  7. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  8. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.