Mobile Privacy Pioneer Silent Circle Raises $50 Million in Funding

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 18 July 2016 18:02 IST

Silent Circle, a Geneva-based pioneer in securing mobile communications, said on Friday it has raised $50 million in a Series C financing round led by Santander Bank as it looks to reinvent itself as an enterprise-focused business.

The firm, which was founded by well-known cryptologists in 2011, said it plans to use the funds to expand development of software products aimed at businesses, governments and law enforcement agencies, a shift from an early focus on individual consumers.

Silent Circle launched an app for encrypting mobile communications in 2012 and a highly secure device known as the Blackphone in 2013 to much fanfare from privacy advocates, but the products had limited commercial success.

Advertisement

Its problems were compounded as big companies including Apple Inc and Facebook Inc rolled out easy-to-use, free apps for encrypting mobile communications.

Advertisement

Silent Circle is now developing business software products use to secure and manage mobile communications, Silent Circle interim Chief Executive Matt Neiderman told Reuters. The software will include features that prevent outsiders from eavesdropping, but allow businesses to monitor and archive those communications in compliance with government regulations, he said.

Some proceeds from the round, which closed in late May, have already been used to retire the company's debt, Neiderman said.

Advertisement

Silent Circle is searching for a new CEO following the departure of Bill Conner, whom the firm brought in to streamline operations and manage the shift toward business customers, Neiderman said.

Silent Circle, which has raised a total of $130 million, is now looking for a more traditional, early-stage-company leader who will focus on building out the product and raising capital, he said.

Advertisement

It has about 100 employees, down from a peak of 125.

The company is embroiled in a legal dispute with Geeksphone, a Spanish company that helped build the first Blackphone device.

Geeksphone filed a lawsuit last month in New York, seeking money related to Silent Circle's purchase of a joint venture that manufactured the Blackphone.

Warren Gluck, an attorney representing Geeksphone, said the two companies have been in communication since the suit was filed, but declined to elaborate.

Neiderman said his firm was confident it would prevail in the New York case, which is related to arbitration between the two firms in Switzerland.

Silent Circle is negotiating with multiple manufacturers to develop several models of the Blackphone that will be targeted at different segments of the consumer and business markets, he said.

© Thomson Reuters 2016
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  3. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  4. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  5. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online
  6. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  7. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  8. Xiaomi 17T, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Four Months Earlier Than Usual
  9. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  10. Sony to Shut Down Demon's Souls Remake Developer Bluepoint Games
  1. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  2. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  3. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  4. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  5. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  6. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  7. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  8. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  9. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
  10. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online: Expected Price, Features
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.