China's Huawei hits back at Australian cyber fears

Advertisement
By Agence-France Presse | Updated: 5 June 2012 16:10 IST
Highlights
  • Chinese telecoms giant Huawei hit back at claims it was a security risk following its barring from Australia's broadband rollout.
Chinese telecoms giant Huawei on Tuesday hit back at claims it was a security risk following its barring from Australia's broadband rollout, with one director labelling it "complete nonsense".

Huawei, among the world's top makers of telecommunications equipment, has been blocked from bidding for contracts on Australia's ambitious Aus$36 billion (US$38 billion) broadband plan due to fears of Chinese cyber attacks.

The government corporation rolling out the project, NBN Co., had internally endorsed Huawei, but the Chinese firm -- established by a former People's Liberation Army engineer -- was instructed by Canberra not to bid.

The issue was considered by the government's National Security Committee, a high-level group including the prime minister, foreign and defence ministers, and their decision was based on "strong advice" from intelligence operatives, according to the Australian Financial Review.

But Huawei's Australian chairman John Lord, formerly a long-serving rear admiral in Australia's navy, dismissed the cyber fears.

"Huawei is not a security risk to Australia," he told the newspaper, adding that he had done "extensive due diligence" before taking his role including talks with founder Ren Zhengfei.

"I was very confident when I took up the appointment. I am committed to Huawei."

Former foreign minister Alexander Downer and ex-Victoria state premier John Brumby are also on the board and Lord said they were "all comfortable taking up the positions" and "still are today".

According to state broadcaster ABC, Huawei noticed a marked cooling in relations after US President Barack Obama visited Australia last November.

It said people from the company were "told to get a message to China that Australia would not tolerate increased cyber hacking of ministerial offices and departments".

The computers of Australia's prime minister, foreign and defence ministers were all suspected of being hacked in March last year, with the attacks thought to have originated in China.

Beijing dismissed the allegations as "groundless and made out of ulterior purposes".

Downer, Australia's longest-serving top diplomat, said any concerns about Huawei being a security risk were "complete nonsense".

"This whole concept of Huawei being involved in cyber warfare, presumably... based on the fact that the company comes from China and everybody in China who's involved with information technology is involved in cyber warfare... is just completely absurd," Downer told ABC.

"This is about understanding the new China, the new world, the new relationships which are opening up."

Huawei's technology is used to build mobile phone networks around the world. It has repeatedly denied any links to the Chinese military, but has also run afoul of regulators and lawmakers in the United States.

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement
Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  3. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  4. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  5. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  6. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  7. Samsung's 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Spotted in Leaked One UI 9 Animations
  1. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  2. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  3. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
  4. Tecno Spark 50 4G Tipped to Launch Globally Soon; Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  5. Lava Bold N2 India Launch Date Revealed; Will Be Exclusively Available via Amazon
  6. Government Green Lights Rs. 10,000 Crore Fund of Funds 2.0 Under the Startup India Mission
  7. Samsung’s 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Revealed via Leaked One UI 9 Animations
  8. Realme P4 Lite India Launch Date Announced; Design, Colour Options, Key Features Revealed
  9. Kingdom Come: Deliverance's Free Next-Gen Update on PS5, Xbox Series S/X Is Now Out
  10. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications; Charging Specifications Revealed Ahead of Launch
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.