TikTok Says a Coordinated Attack Was Behind Recent Spate of Suicide Clip Uploads

TikTok found evidence of a “coordinated attack" when it investigated why the video was suddenly appearing on the app.

Advertisement
By Gadgets 360 Staff With Inputs From AP | Updated: 23 September 2020 12:17 IST
Highlights
  • In the US, TikTok faces a ban later this month
  • TikTok took down 104.5 million videos for violating its guidelines
  • Users usually look through their own feed or use hashtags to find videos

TikTok wrote to nine other tech platforms proposing that they warn each other about violent content

TikTok says a video of a man apparently dying by suicide that circulated on its platform was spread deliberately by a group of users working together.

The company found evidence of a “coordinated attack" when it investigated why the video was suddenly appearing on the popular short-video sharing app, a TikTok executive told a British parliamentary committee Tuesday.

TikTok scrambled earlier this month to remove clips of the man dying by suicide, raising concerns about the platform's ability to stop harmful content from reaching its users, many of whom are teens.
Theo Bertram, TikTok's European director of public policy, said there was a huge spike in the number of clips uploaded to TikTok about a week after the original video was livestreamed on Facebook.

Advertisement

“There's evidence of a coordinated attack,” Bertrand said. “Through our investigations, we learned that groups operating on the dark Web made plans to raid social media platforms including TikTok, in order to spread the video across the Internet. What we saw was a group of users who were repeatedly attempting to upload the video to our platform.” The Dark Web is a part of the Internet accessible only through anonymity-providing software.

Advertisement

The users were “splicing it, editing it and cutting it in different ways" and then making new accounts to help spread it, he said.

TikTok users usually look through their own feed or use hashtags to find videos. But these users were clicking on account profiles, apparently anticipating that they would be posting the suicide clip, which is an unusual way to find videos, Bertram said. He gave few other details.

Advertisement

The company wrote Monday to nine other tech platforms proposing that they warn each other about violent and graphic content on their own services.

Bertram's comments came as TikTok said in its latest transparency report that it took down 104.5 million videos for violating its guidelines or terms of service during the first six months of the year. That's less than one percent of the total number of videos uploaded for that period.

Advertisement

TikTok's Chinese owner, ByteDance, is fighting pressure in some of its major markets. In the US, TikTok faces a ban later this month from smartphone app stores, followed by a broader ban in November unless ByteDance can persuade US officials it can resolve national security concerns.


Are Apple Watch SE, iPad 8th Gen the Perfect ‘Affordable' Products for India? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.

Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: TikTok, ByteDance, Dark Web
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Nothing CEO Carl Pei Announces March 5 Event
  2. Realme P4 Power Review
  3. Samsung Galaxy S26 Ultra Could Launch With This Selfie Camera Upgrade
  4. Vivo V60 Lite 4G (2026) Debuts With Updated Snapdragon Chipset
  5. Anthropic, Infosys to Join Hands to Build Agentic AI Tools for Enterprises
  6. Infinix Note 60 Ultra Appears in FCC Listing; Renders Reveal Second Display
  7. Lava Bold N2 Launched in India With a 5,000mAh Battery at This Price
  8. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  9. Infinix GT 50 Pro Design, Key Specifications Revealed in New Leak
  10. Apple Music Could Soon Let You Generate Playlists Using Apple Intelligence
  1. Samsung Galaxy F70e 5G With 120Hz LCD Screen, Dimensity 6300 SoC Goes on Sale in India: Price, Offers
  2. Hackers Send Physical Phishing Letters Impersonating Trezor and Ledger to Trick Users
  3. Infinix Note 60 Ultra Battery Details Revealed by US FCC Listing; Leaked Renders Hint at Secondary Display
  4. Android XR OS Reportedly Leaks in Early Screenshots; to Offer Clean Spatial Interface, ‘Glimmer’ Design
  5. iOS 26.4 Beta 1: Apple Music Gets New AI-Powered Playlist Playground Feature
  6. India AI Summit: Anthropic, Infosys Announce Partnership to Bring Agentic AI Solutions for Enterprises
  7. Valve Says Steam Deck OLED Is Out of Stock Due to RAM and Storage Shortages
  8. AI Impact Summit: India Expected to Witness Over $200 Billion Worth of AI Investments, IT Minister Says
  9. Adani Group Announces $100 Billion Plan for Hyperscale AI-Ready Data Centres by 2035
  10. Infinix GT 50 Pro Design Leaked, Specifications Might Include Dimensity 8400 Ultimate Chip
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.