US Pledges $4 Billion to Boost Self-Driving Cars

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 15 January 2016 10:42 IST
The US administration pledged Thursday to help clear the way for autonomous vehicles with an investment of $4 billion (roughly Rs. 26,954 crores) to fund research and testing projects.

US Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx made the announcement in Detroit, flanked by executives from Google and auto manufacturers General Motors, Ford Motor Co., Volvo, Fiat Chrysler and Honda.

"Much needs to be done to create the transportation system of the 21st century," Foxx said at the North American International Auto Show.

He said the Obama administration plans to ask for funding to speed up the introduction and use of autonomous vehicles, saying it would help reduce the congestion and improve road safety.

Advertisement

The initiative also aims to improve the US transportation system and vehicle-to-vehicle communications technology which helps cars avoid obstacles and accidents through better awareness of the surrounding environment.

Advertisement

"We are on course for a future where congestion will only get worse," said Foxx, adding that in the future 75 percent of the US population will be concentrated in 11 "mega regions."

Foxx said that because most accidents are caused by human error, autonomous vehicles can eliminate many road fatalities.

Advertisement

"By my simple math, that means that autonomous cars could have saved 25,000 lives last year," he said.

The agency is proposing that some funds be made available to local governments to develop the kind of infrastructure needed to increase the effectiveness of vehicle-to-vehicle communication.

Advertisement

Such an infrastructure can give drivers up-to-the-minute information on traffic conditions, or even automatically stop a vehicle short of crash by automatically applying brakes.

Foxx said DOT will propose rule changes over the next six months that will make it easier for car makers to install autonomous driving features in their vehicles.

DOT also will draft model legislation for could be used by various states and make it easier to introduce automated vehicles.

John Krafcik, who heads Google Cars, welcomed effort, saying that to implement these changes "you need to have a clear path and guard rails and DOT is offering to provide that."

Mark Reuss, GM executive vice president for vehicle development, said he believes the initiative will help automakers as they move into an area where the technology is evolving rapidly.

GM, Ford Motor Co, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, BMW, Toyota, Nissan and Hyundai have and all said they are actively working on autonomous driving, and have unveiled features such as automatic braking and automated steering that allow the driver to let go of the steering wheel.

The Mercedes-Benz E Class introduced earlier this week is capable of driving by itself, although it still requires attention a driver's attention.

Carlos Ghosn, Nissan's chief executive officer, told the Automotive News World Congress that Nissan has been a pioneer in autonomous vehicles and expects to have a fully autonomous vehicle on the road by 2020.

The DOT said it was working with automakers to develop common technical standards for autonomous cars and for vehicles to vehicle communication.

The agency also said it would work with automakers on rule-making, and confirmed that a self-parking system developed by Germany's BMW meets federal safety regulations.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  3. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  4. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  5. Xiaomi 17T, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Four Months Earlier Than Usual
  6. Nothing Confirms the Upcoming Phone 4a Series Will Sport a Snapdragon Chip
  7. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  8. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  9. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online
  10. First User Report of iPhone Air's C1X Modem Failure Surfaces Online
  1. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  2. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  3. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  4. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  5. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  6. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  7. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  8. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
  9. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online: Expected Price, Features
  10. Sony to Shut Down Demon's Souls Remake Developer Bluepoint Games in March
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.