China Calls US Concerns Over Huawei 'Groundless'

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 12 February 2019 18:27 IST

Beijing called the latest US warning against using Huawei equipment "groundless" on Tuesday, as the Chinese telecom giant faces espionage fears in a growing number of countries.

The world's second-largest smartphone maker and biggest producer of telecommunications gear has been under fire in recent months after the arrest of a top executive in Canada and a global campaign by Washington to blacklist its equipment.

Advertisement

"The US has spared no effort in unscrupulously fabricating all kinds of groundless charges," said Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying at a regular press briefing in Beijing Tuesday.

She also accused the US of "sowing discord" between China and other countries, and called the actions of Washington "neither fair nor moral."

Advertisement

On Monday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on a visit to Hungary that it would be difficult for the United States to partner with countries that co-locate Huawei equipment near "important American systems".

"We want to make sure we identify (to) them the opportunities and the risks with using that equipment," he said.

Advertisement

His comments came less than week after a team of US officials toured EU capitals - including Brussels - urging European governments to scrap Huawei 5G technology from their telecom infrastructure plans.

Several Western nations have voiced fears that using Huawei base stations and other gear could give Chinese authorities access to critical network infrastructure worldwide, possibly allowing it to spy on foreign governments.

Advertisement

In December, Britain's largest mobile provider said it was removing Huawei equipment from its 4G cellular network after the foreign intelligence service singled out the company as a security risk.

Australia, New Zealand, and the United States also enacted similar bans last year.

Huawei has remained dismissive of these concerns, with the company's vice president and representative to the EU Abraham Liu calling them "ungrounded and senseless allegations" in a speech last week.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: US, China, Huawei
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Moto G37 Power vs Oppo K14x vs Samsung Galaxy M17 5G: Which One Is Better?
  1. NASA Just Released One of the Most Detailed Maps of the Night Sky Ever
  2. Bhagubai Out on OTT: Know How to Stream This Marathi Comedy Drama Film Online
  3. Mad For Each Other OTT Release: Where to Watch the Indian Relationship Reality Show Online
  4. Salbardi OTT Release: Where to Watch Pooja Sawant’s Marathi Crime Mystery Thriller Online
  5. Bhojpuri Bawaal OTT Release Date Reportedly Revealed Online: Know Everything About This Upcoming Reality Series
  6. Mysterious Stacked Rocks Spotted by NASA Perseverance Rover on Mars
  7. Meta Launches Forum App as a Reddit-Like Platform for Discussions With AI-Powered Assistant for Admins
  8. Xiaomi 17T Series Teased to Arrive in Two Display Variants; Colour Options Revealed Ahead of Debut
  9. Honor Magic 9 Series Could Feature 8,000mAh Batteries; Tipster Leaks Camera, Display Upgrades
  10. Google Might Sell Over 2 Million Android XR-Powered Smart Glasses This Year: Report
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.