High Court issues contempt notices to Idea Cellular and others in 3G case

Advertisement
By Press Trust of India | Updated: 27 May 2013 18:44 IST
The Delhi High Court on Monday issued contempt notices against telecom major Idea Cellular Ltd (ICL) and its chairman Kumar Mangalam Birla for allegedly disobeying its earlier order by providing 3G services to new customers in circles where it lacks the requisite licences.

Justice Rajiv Shakdhar asked the telecom company and five others including Birla to file their responses within four weeks and posted the matter for further hearing on August 5.

Besides the telecom company and its chairman, the court also issued notices to Himanshu Kapania, Managing Director of ICL, Akshya Moondra, Chief Financial Officer of the firm, P Lakshminarayana and Pankaj Kapdeo, Company Secretaries of ICL.

The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) had earlier moved the court seeking initiation of contempt proceedings against the telecom firm and its office bearers for "wilful and deliberate" disobedience of a judicial order passed on April 12 by which ICL was restrained from providing 3G services to its new customers.

Advertisement

DoT, in its contempt plea, had said that instead of complying with the orders passed by this court, the petitioner (Idea Cellular) had filed an additional affidavit stating that it has 'additionally decided' to provide 3G services to those existing customers who meet the criteria. There is no criteria provided by this court, it had said.

Advertisement

"The order of April 12 is clear and has to be obeyed in its entirely. The petitioner, under the garb of so-called criteria, has modified the condition imposed by this court on April 12. Therefore, it amounts to contempt of the said order," it had said.

Earlier, in pursuance of a Supreme Court order on a plea moved by Bharti Airtel, the high court had restrained DoT from taking any "coercive steps" against Vodafone and Idea Cellular which were asked to pay penalty of Rs. 550 crore and Rs. 300 crore respectively for providing 3G facilities outside their circles without the requisite licences.

Advertisement

The court had, however, put a condition on the telecom majors, including Idea Cellular, that they will not provide 3G services to new customers in the circles for which they lacked licences.

Besides initiation of contempt proceedings, DoT has also sought dismissal of Idea Cellular's plea against its notice demanding Rs. 300 crore as penalty for providing 3G services in circles including Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, the north east, Assam, Bihar, Karnataka, Rajasthan and Delhi.

Advertisement

In addition to Idea Cellular, Vodafone had also moved the high court against a penalty of Rs. 550 crore imposed on it by DoT for providing 3G services outside their licenced circles.

Both the telecom firms got the relief from the court which followed the apex court order on a similar plea of Bharti Airtel.

Earlier, the Supreme Court had directed the Centre not to take any coercive step against Bharti Cellular and asked the telecom company not to extend its roaming services to new customers in seven circles where it does not have licences for 3G spectrum.

Bharti Cellular Ltd (BCL) had moved the apex court after the division bench of the high court vacated its stay on the operation of a DoT notice against BCL for providing 3G services outside its licenced circles.

DoT had, in separate notices, asked all the three telecom firms to pay the penalties and stop offering 3G mobile phone services in circles where they did not win spectrum in the 2010 auction of the radio waves.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  3. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  4. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  5. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Lands on IMEI Database, Could Launch Soon
  7. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  8. Anthropic's First Indian Office in Bengaluru Is Now Open
  9. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.