Sony Pictures Condemns Wikileaks Release of Documents From Hackers

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 17 April 2015 09:56 IST
Sony Corp's Sony Pictures Entertainment objected to the online release by WikiLeaks on Thursday of a searchable database of more than 30,000 documents that were obtained by hackers in a massive cyber attack last year.

"The cyber-attack on Sony Pictures was a malicious criminal act, and we strongly condemn the indexing of stolen employee and other private and privileged information on WikiLeaks," the company said in a statement.

Sony Pictures said it "will continue to fight for the safety, security, and privacy of our company."

Advertisement

The documents stolen by the hackers were made available to the media last year. They included embarrassing emails by then- Co-Chairman Amy Pascal and personal information such as salaries and Social Security numbers of employees.

The release of 30,287 documents and 173,132 emails on WikiLeaks makes the information widely available and searchable.

Advertisement

WikiLeaks, an anti-secrecy website known for publishing classified U.S. government information, said it believed the documents belonged in the public domain.

"This archive shows the inner workings of an influential multinational corporation," WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said in a statement. "It is newsworthy and at the centre of a geo-political conflict."

Advertisement

The U.S. government had blamed the hack on North Korea after the reclusive nation was angered by the Sony comedy "The Interview," which depicted the fictional assassination of leader Kim Jong Un. North Korea denied it was involved in the attack.

© Thomson Reuters 2015

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Here Are the Best Smartphones in India Under Rs. 30,000
  2. Moto G37, Moto G37 Power Launched in India With These Features
  3. Parliament Finance Panel to Hold Discussions With Binance, WazirX, ZebPay
  4. Airtel's Priority Postpaid Becomes India's First 5G Network Slicing Service
  5. Here's How the Oppo Reno 16 Series Will Look
  6. Google Takes the Anthropic Route With Weekly Usage Limits for Gemini
  7. Amazon's New Fire TV Stick HD Brings Xbox Cloud Gaming Experience
  8. Motorola Edge 2026 Leaked Renders Show Off the Design
  9. Take-Two Reaffirms GTA 6 Release Date, Says Game Was Delayed by 18 Months
  1. Airtel Introduces Priority Postpaid With India's First 5G Network Slicing Starting at Rs. 449
  2. Echo Protocol Exploit Sees Hacker Mint Unauthorised eBTC Worth $76.7 Million
  3. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Price and Specifications Surface on Retail Listing Ahead of May 28 Launch
  4. Xiaomi 17 Max Reportedly Spotted on Geekbench Ahead of May 21 Launch
  5. Lanterns OTT Release Date Confirmed: When and Where to Watch DCU Green Lantern Series Online?
  6. iOS 27 Could Bring AI Wallpaper Generator, Smarter Siri, Revamped Shortcuts App to iPhone: Report
  7. Perplexity Users Claim Their Usage Limit Was Significantly Reduced, Company Reportedly Responds
  8. Bhishmar Now Available for Streaming Online: What You Need to Know About This Entertaining Tale
  9. Oppo Reno 16 Series Design, Colours, and Storage Options Revealed Ahead of May 25 Launch
  10. Motorola Edge 2026 Leaked Renders Show Flat Display and Triple Rear Camera Setup
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.