Anonymous Threatens China, Hong Kong Authorities With Website Blackout

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 11 October 2014 10:34 IST
Anonymous, the nebulous online activist group that uses hacking to further causes it supports, has threatened a major blackout of Chinese and Hong Kong government websites, and to leak tens of thousands of government email address details.

The group, under the banner of 'Operation Hong Kong' or '#OpHongKong' and '#OpHK' on Twitter, said on Friday it will launch a mass effort against Chinese government servers to bring down their websites via Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks on Saturday.

DDoS attacks attempt to cripple networks by overwhelming them with Internet traffic.

"Here's your heads up, prepare for us, try to stop it, the only success you will have will be taking all your sites offline," an Anonymous statement posted online said. "China, you cannot stop us. You should have expected us before abusing your power against the citizens of Hong Kong."

Advertisement

Demonstrations in Hong Kong have seen the use of tear gas, violent clashes and mass disruptions to business and traffic as people campaign for the right to democratically elect the Asian financial hub's leader.

Advertisement

Hong Kong's refusal so far to negotiate with protesters, and a police reaction that many labelled as heavy-handed, has sparked widespread condemnation that has now spread to Anonymous, which often campaigns for civil liberties by attacking people or institutions it sees as opponents of those rights.

"If this is true, it will show that the Chinese government is a victim of Internet hacking," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei at a daily news briefing. "China has consistently stressed our opposition to all Internet hacking attack activities. We rebuke the acts of this organisation."

Advertisement

The Chinese government's Hong Kong Liaison Office also said its website had been attacked twice on Wednesday and Thursday, blocking visitors to the site for a time.

"This kind of Internet attack violates the law and social morals, and we have already reported it to the police," it said, adding that the website was running normally again.

Advertisement

Among the websites Anonymous said it would target are those of China's Ministry of Public Security, the Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Justice and Hong Kong police.

"Prepping for massive DDoS attacks, Database dumps, etc... Will be destroying #China Government," wrote one Anonymous participant on Twitter.

China's Defence Ministry, in a statement sent to Reuters, said its website was subject to numerous hacking attacks every day from both home and overseas.

"We have taken necessary steps to protect the safe operation of the Defence Ministry website," it added.

The State Internet Information Office, China's Internet regulator, declined to comment. The Ministry of Public Security declined to immediately comment by telephone. The Hong Kong Police Force was not available for immediate comment.

The Ministry of Justice said it was not aware of the threat from Anonymous, and that its website wasn't its responsibility to maintain.

The Legal Network Media Beijing Company, which maintains the Ministry of Justice site, said it had not had official notice about any attack, nor had it detected any attacks on the website so far.

"If there are future hacking attacks, we have confidence they can be resolved," said a technician at the company who gave his surname as Zhong.

© Thomson Reuters 2014

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement
Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Gravitational Wave Detectors Catch the Final Dance of Two Black Holes
  2. Chatha Pacha Set for OTT Release on Netflix: All You Need to Know
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.