Coronavirus Cyber-Attacks: Elite Hackers Target WHO

United Nations agencies, the WHO among them, are regularly targeted by digital espionage campaigns.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 24 March 2020 08:31 IST
Highlights
  • Elite hackers tried to break into the World Health Organization
  • There has been a more than two-fold increase in cyber-attacks
  • Identity of the hackers was unclear: Chief Information Security Officer

Regional Office for the Americas of WHO in Washington, D.C., U.S

Elite hackers tried to break into the World Health Organization earlier this month, sources told Reuters, part of what a senior agency official said was a more than two-fold increase in cyber-attacks. WHO Chief Information Security Officer Flavio Aggio said the identity of the hackers was unclear and the effort was unsuccessful. But he warned that hacking attempts against the agency and its partners have soared as they battle to contain the coronavirus, which has killed more than 15,000 worldwide.

The attempted break-in at the WHO was first flagged to Reuters by Alexander Urbelis, a cyber-security expert and attorney with the New York-based Blackstone Law Group, which tracks suspicious Internet domain registration activity.

Advertisement

Urbelis said he picked up on the activity around March 13, when a group of hackers he'd been following activated a malicious site mimicking the WHO's internal email system.

"I realized quite quickly that this was a live attack on the World Health Organization in the midst of a pandemic," he said.

Advertisement

Urbelis said he didn't know who was responsible, but two other sources briefed on the matter said they suspected an advanced group of hackers known as DarkHotel, which has been conducting cyber-espionage operations since at least 2007.

Messages sent to email addresses maintained by the hackers went unreturned.

Advertisement

When asked by Reuters about the incident, the WHO's Aggio confirmed that the site spotted by Urbelis had been used in an attempt to steal passwords from multiple agency staffers.

"There has been a big increase in targeting of the WHO and other cybersecurity incidents," Aggio said in a telephone interview. "There are no hard numbers, but such compromise attempts against us and the use of (WHO) impersonations to target others have more than doubled."

Advertisement

The WHO published an alert last month - available here - warning that hackers are posing as the agency to steal money and sensitive information from the public.

And government officials in the United States, Britain and elsewhere have issued cyber-security warnings about the dangers of a newly remote workforce as people disperse to their homes to work and study because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The motives in the case identified by Reuters aren't clear. United Nations agencies, the WHO among them, are regularly targeted by digital espionage campaigns and Aggio said he did not know who precisely at the organization the hackers had in their sights.

Cyber-security firms including Romania's Bitdefender and Moscow-based Kaspersky said they have traced many of DarkHotel's operations to East Asia - an area that has been particularly affected by the coronavirus. Specific targets have included government employees and business executives in places such as China, North Korea, Japan, and the United States.

Costin Raiu, head of global research and analysis at Kaspersky, could not confirm that DarkHotel was responsible for the WHO attack but said the same malicious web infrastructure had also been used to target other healthcare and humanitarian organizations in recent weeks.

"At times like this, any information about cures or tests or vaccines relating to coronavirus would be priceless and the priority of any intelligence organization of an affected country," he said.

Officials and cyber-security experts have warned that hackers of all stripes are seeking to capitalize on international concern over the spread of the coronavirus.

Urbelis said he has tracked thousands of coronavirus-themed web sites being set up daily, many of them obviously malicious.

"It's still around 2,000 a day," he said. "I have never seen anything like this."

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Hackers, WHO, Coronavirus, COVID 19
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Redmi Turbo 5 India Launch Timeline, Key Features Leaked
  2. Google IO 2026: Here's Everything That Was Announced During the Event
  3. Google IO 2026: Universal Cart Will Leverage AI to Shop via Google Products
  4. Google I/O 2026: Docs Live Brings Gemini Voice AI to Gmail, Docs and Keep
  5. Moto G37, Moto G37 Power Launched in India With These Features
  6. Samsung Galaxy S27 Pro Tipped to Launch With Compact Design, Ultra Features
  7. Xiaomi 17T Series Retail Listing Reveals Pricing and Specifications
  8. Samsung Galaxy Book 6 Pro Review: On-the-Go Productivity Laptop
  9. Here's How the Oppo Reno 16 Series Will Look
  10. Gemini 3.5 Series AI Models, Gemini Omni Unveiled at Google I/O 2026
  1. Google IO 2026: Google Showcases Universal Cart That Lets Users Shop in Search, YouTube and Gmail
  2. Google I/O 2026: Docs Live Brings Gemini Voice AI to Gmail, Docs and Keep
  3. Google IO 2026: Here’s Everything That Was Announced From Gemini 3.5 Flash to Gemini Omni
  4. Google I/O 2026: Google, Samsung Showcase Gemini-Powered Android XR Smart Glasses
  5. Google I/O 2026: Gemini Omni for AI Videos, Gemini 3.5 Series Models Unveiled
  6. Google I/O 2026: Gemini Spark Brings Agentic Experiences Across Google Docs, Slides and More Apps
  7. Massive Solar Storm Reveals How Mars Is Losing Its Atmosphere
  8. Samsung Galaxy S27 Series Tipped to Include New Pro Model; Galaxy S27 Ultra Said to Offer Hardware Upgrades
  9. Redmi Turbo 5 India Launch Timeline Leaked, Tipped to Retain Same Features as Chinese Variant
  10. Airtel Introduces Priority Postpaid With India's First 5G Network Slicing Starting at Rs. 449
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.