EU Regulators Set Guidelines for 'Right to Be Forgotten' Complaints

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 19 September 2014 11:57 IST
European regulators have agreed on criteria for judging appeals for the "right to be forgotten", taking into account public profiles or crime for example, when search engines such as Google turn down requests to have information deleted from search results.

But regulators made no mention of two thorny issues: whether search engines ought to inform publishers when articles have been delisted from search results, and whether links ought to be removed from all versions of Google, such as Google.com.

The working group of EU data protection authorities aims to bring some clarity to implementing a landmark court decision in May that gave Europeans the right for the first time to ask search engines to erase information about them from the web.

The guidelines, which are expected to be finalised by the end of November, will set out categories for organising the types of appeals coming in from citizens and create a common record of decisions taken by regulators.

Advertisement

This will help regulators determine whether the information should remain accessible under the individual's name by asking them to weigh factors such as the public role of the person, whether the information relates to a crime and how old it is.

Advertisement

"We want the toolbox to guide difficult decisions on how to balance the individual's right to privacy in the Internet age against the public interest," Isabelle Falque-Pierrotin, who heads France's privacy watchdog and the WP29, said earlier this month.

A contact person at each data protection authority will ensure that appeals people file are handled consistently across the EU's 28 member states, the statement from the Article 29 Working Party (WP29) said on Thursday.

Advertisement

Regulators came up with a draft of the criteria at a two-day meeting in Brussels this week.

Around 90 such appeals have been filed with privacy regulators in Britain, 70 in Spain, 20 in France and 13 in Ireland.

Advertisement

Unanswered questions
The WP29 members also met with media companies on the sidelines of the meeting to gather their views on how to strike a balance between the freedom of information and privacy. In July they met with search engine companies Google, Microsoft and Yahoo .

(Also see: Microsoft Starts Taking EU 'Right To Be Forgotten' Requests)

Google's decision to notify the media via email that their articles had been scrubbed from results prompted the BBC and The Guardian to write articles about the removals, condemning them as censorship aimed at whitewashing the past.

"There might be single, outstanding cases where involving the publisher might be appropriate. But to do so systematically is undue," said Johannes Caspar, head of Hamburg's data protection body in Germany which has jurisdiction over Google.

Google says it has received over 120,000 requests from across Europe to remove from its search results everything from serious criminal records, embarrassing photos and negative press stories. It could not be reached for comment after the meeting.

The May ruling from Europe's top court sparked a lively debate between free speech advocates who say it will lead to a whitewashing of the past, and privacy campaigners who say it simply allows people to limit the visibility of some personal information.

The Internet giant, which handles over 80 percent of searches in Europe, has previously come under fire for its handling of "right to be forgotten" requests. Its restriction of the removal of Internet links to European sites only, for example Google.de in Germany, has been questioned by several authorities.

"The effect of removing search results should be global. This is in the spirit of the court ruling and the only meaningful way to act in a global environment like the Internet," said Johannes Caspar, head of Hamburg's data protection body in Germany which has jurisdiction over Google.

© Thomson Reuters 2014

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: EU, Google, Internet, Right to Be Forgotten
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  3. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  4. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  5. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.