FBI wants more cooperation with banks in cyber attacks probe

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 14 May 2013 09:44 IST
The FBI last month gave temporary security clearances to scores of U.S. bank executives to brief them on the investigation into the cyber attacks that have repeatedly disrupted online banking websites for most of a year.

Bank security officers and others were brought to more than 40 field offices around the country to join a classified video conference on "who was behind the keyboards," Federal Bureau of Investigation Executive Assistant Director Richard McFeely told the Reuters Cyber-security Summit on Monday.

The extraordinary clearances, from an agency famed for being close-mouthed even among other law enforcement agencies, reflect some action after years of talk about the need for increased cooperation between the public and private sectors on cybersecurity.

The attacks, which have been ascribed by U.S. intelligence officials to Iran, are seen as among the most serious against U.S. entities in recent years. McFeely declined to discuss details of the investigation, including what the banks had been told and whether Iran was behind the attacks.

Advertisement

Banks have spent millions of dollars to get back online and make sure they can stay online. JP Morgan Chase & Co, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citigroup and others have been affected.

Advertisement

McFeely said the one-day secrecy clearances are part of a broader effort by the FBI to communicate more with victims of cyber-crime, some of whom feel that cooperating with federal authorities carries too much risk of exposure to investor and media scrutiny.

A February executive order from President Barack Obama called for expedited security clearances.

Advertisement

McFeely, who began overseeing FBI cyber and criminal cases last year, said the agency was changing its approach after being "terrible" in the past about keeping targeted companies informed of progress in investigations.

"That's 180 degrees from where we are now," McFeely said at the summit, held at the Reuters office in Washington.

Advertisement

The FBI is working harder at securing international help in combating cybercrime and sabotage, but also needs dramatic gestures, such as espionage arrests of hackers from rival countries, to convince U.S. companies to be more open about their losses, he said.

On the international front, the FBI and Department of Homeland Security have notified 129 other countries about 130,000 Internet protocol addresses that have been used in the banking attacks.

Many of the computers involved in the attacks were infected by viruses before being directed to attack banking websites, and the bulletins have helped other countries to clean some of the computers, FBI officials said.

National Security Agency Director Keith Alexander and other officials have said that the massive theft of intellectual property by China and other countries amounts to the largest transfer of wealth in history. Individual companies, however, have rarely admitted material losses.

McFeely said that part of the problem was that companies have been frustrated at the extreme rarity of overseas arrests or other signs of tangible progress in nascent international talks over the issue. Even some defense contractors contacted by the FBI after breaches are reluctant to share information with agents, he said.

But McFeely said that some indictments have been issued under seal and that arrests would follow, perhaps when hackers identified by name travel outside their home countries.

"The first time we bring someone in from out of the country in handcuffs, that's going to be a big deal," McFeely said.

© Thomson Reuters 2013

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  3. Xiaomi 17T, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Four Months Earlier Than Usual
  4. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  5. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  6. Samsung's One UI 8.5 Update Will Bring These Useful Upgrades to Bixby
  7. Poco X8 Pro Series Display, Chipset, Battery Details Leak Online
  8. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  9. Nothing Confirms the Upcoming Phone 4a Series Will Sport a Snapdragon Chip
  10. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  1. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  2. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  3. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  4. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  5. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  6. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  7. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  8. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  9. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
  10. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online: Expected Price, Features
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.