NSA Chief Says Cyber-Attackers Leaving Warning 'Messages'

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 20 March 2015 12:09 IST
Attackers hacking into American computer networks appear to be leaving "cyber fingerprints" to send a message that critical systems are vulnerable, the top US cyber-warrior said Thursday.

Admiral Michael Rogers, director of the National Security Agency and head of the Pentagon's US Cyber Command, made the comments to a US Senate panel as he warned about the growing sophistication of cyber threats.

"Private security researchers over the last year have reported on numerous malware finds in the industrial control systems of energy sector organizations," Rogers said in written testimony.

"We believe potential adversaries might be leaving cyber fingerprints on our critical infrastructure partly to convey a message that our homeland is at risk if tensions ever escalate toward military conflict."

Advertisement

Rogers told senators that "threats and vulnerabilities are changing and expanding at an accelerated and alarming pace," forcing the US to step up defensive measures.

Advertisement

In some cases, attackers may be setting up "a beachhead for future cyber sabotage," said Rogers.

"The cyber intruders of today, in many cases, not only want to disrupt our actions, but they seek to establish a persistent presence on our networks," he told the panel.

Advertisement

Of particular risk is so-called critical infrastructure networks power grids, transportation, water and air traffic control, for example where a computer outage could be devastating.

Rogers added that the military is about halfway toward building its new cyber defense corps of 6,200 which could help in defending the national against cyber-attacks.

Advertisement

"Many of its teams are generating capability today," he said.

"Three years ago we lacked capacity; we had vision and expertise but were very thin on the ground. Today the new teams are actively guarding (Defense Department) networks and prepared, when appropriate and authorized, to help combatant commands deny freedom of maneuver to our adversaries in cyberspace."

Rogers said most of the team would have "at least initial operational capability" by September 2016, the end of the next fiscal year.

But he told the lawmakers on the Armed Services Committee that any budget cuts or delays in authorizing funds "will slow the build of our cyber teams" and hurt US defense efforts in cyberspace.

"If we do not continue to invest in our existing and future capabilities, we will lack the necessary capacity and risk being less prepared to address future threats," he said.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  3. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  4. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  5. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  6. Tipster Leaks Details of the Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Cameras
  7. Poco X8 Pro Series Display, Chipset, Battery Details Leak Online
  8. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  1. Google Pixel Call Recording Reportedly Available in Additional Regions Ahead of Global Expansion
  2. Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Leak: Tipster Shares Details of Anticipated 200-Megapixel Cameras
  3. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  4. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  5. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  6. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  7. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  8. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  9. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  10. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.