US Charges North Korean Hacker in Sony, WannaCry Cyber-Attacks

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 7 September 2018 11:06 IST
Highlights
  • The hacker also broke into the central bank of Bangladesh in 2016
  • Park Jin Hyok worked as part of a team called Lazarus Group
  • US Treasury Department has imposed sanctions against Park

A screenshot shows a WannaCry ransomware demand, provided by cyber-security firm Symantec

The US government on Thursday charged and sanctioned a North Korean man in the 2017 global WannaCry ransomware cyber-attack and the 2014 cyberassault on Sony Corp, US officials said.

The charges, part of a strategy by the US government to deter future cyber-attacks by naming and shaming the alleged perpetrators, also alleged that the North Korean hacker broke into the central bank of Bangladesh in 2016, according to a criminal complaint.

Park Jin Hyok worked as part of a team of hackers, also known as the Lazarus Group, to try to breach multiple other US businesses, according to the complaint. In 2016 and 2017, Park's targets included defence contractor Lockheed Martin Corp. The complaint said there was no evidence Lockheed was breached.

Advertisement

The US Treasury Department has imposed sanctions against Park and the Chinese-based front company he worked for, Chosun Expo.

Advertisement

The North Korean mission to the United Nations did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In 2014, US officials said unnamed North Korean hackers were responsible for a major cyber intrusion into Sony, which resulted in leaked internal documents and data being destroyed.

Advertisement

The attacks came after Pyongyang sent a letter to the United Nations, demanding that Sony not move forward with the movie "The Interview" that portrayed the US-backed assassination of a character made to look like North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Park used a series of online personas for social media platforms, including on Facebook and Twitter, to send malicious links to individuals involved in the production of "The Interview," the complaint said. The malicious links carried North Korean-controlled malware.

Advertisement

In November 2014, Park allegedly launched the same style social media-focused attack against employees of AMC Theatres. The movie theatre chain in some cases delayed or cancelled screenings of "The Interview" nationwide, Variety at the time reported. The complaint said there was no evidence AMC Theatres was breached.

Last year, the WannaCry ransomware attack affected thousands of businesses across the globe through a computer virus that encrypted files on affected systems, including Britain's National Health Service, where nonfunctional computer systems forced the cancellation of thousands of appointments.

John Demers, the Assistant Attorney General of the National Security Division, said on Thursday that this marks the first time the US Justice Department has formally charged a hacker in connection with cybercrimes "sponsored" by the North Korean government.

"The department has charged, arrested and imprisoned hackers working for the governments of China, Russia and Iran. Today, we add the North Korean regime to our list, completing frankly four out of four of our principle adversaries in cyberspace."

A senior Justice Department official said a criminal investigation into Park and his accomplices was still ongoing. There has been no communication between the US and North Korean government about a possible extradition, the official said.

No North Korean government officials were referenced in the complaint by name, though it does allege the government sponsored the attacks.

The complaint was filed under seal on June 8, just days before a historic summit in Singapore between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: WannaCry, Sony, North Korea
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  2. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  3. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  4. Gravitational Wave Detectors Catch the Final Dance of Two Black Holes
  5. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.