HP rebuffs ex-Autonomy CEO, warns of legal action

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 28 November 2012 12:13 IST
Hewlett Packard Co rebuffed a request by former Autonomy Chief Executive Mike Lynch to detail accusations of accounting fraud leveled against the British software company and its former executives, and challenged Lynch to submit to questions under penalty of perjury.

HP was responding to an open letter that Lynch shot to HP's board on Tuesday, asking for specifics of the U.S. company's allegations that Lynch and former Autonomy executives inflated revenue and gross margins, which HP said last week forced it to take an $8.8 billion writedown on Autonomy's value.

In his letter, Lynch again flatly rejected any accusations of impropriety, and requested that HP's board share with him the same documents it had submitted to U.S. and British regulators, including the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Department of Justice.

Advertisement

Tuesday's exchange between HP, the world's largest computing company by revenue, and the former chief of Autonomy, which HP acquired for upwards of $11 billion last year, escalated a row that erupted last week when HP stunned investors by publicly accusing Lynch and other unnamed executives of inflating financial results such as margins.

The revelation again brought into question the competence of HP, which has made a series of missteps in past years including failed acquisitions and poor strategic decisions.

Advertisement

In Tuesday's letter, Lynch challenged HP to elaborate on how it calculated the writedown, especially $5 billion that the company has said was directly attributable to accounting impropriety at Autonomy.

"Can HP really state that no part of the $5 billion writedown was, or should be, attributed to HP's operational and financial mismanagement of Autonomy since the acquisition?" Lynch asked in the letter.

Advertisement

HP responded by saying the matter was now in the hands of the SEC, the UK's Serious Fraud Office and the Justice Department, and that it will defer to those agencies on how to engage with Lynch. It also warned it will take legal action against "parties involved" at the appropriate time.

"While Dr. Lynch is eager for a debate, we believe the legal process is the correct method in which to bring out the facts and take action on behalf of our shareholders," HP said in an emailed response.

Advertisement

"In that setting, we look forward to hearing Dr. Lynch and other former Autonomy employees answer questions under penalty of perjury."

HP's shares were down 1.5 percent at $12.55 in afternoon trade on Tuesday.

Last week's announcement came alongside the disclosure of a 6.7 percent slide in quarterly revenue, and occurred just three months after the company took a writedown of almost $11 billion on its EDS services division.

HP has for years relied on deal-making, acquiring businesses ranging from EDS to Compaq to Palm, but has largely failed to articulate a clear strategy or establish a strong position in growth businesses like computer services or mobile computing.

© Thomson Reuters 2012

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Autonomy, EDS, HP, Hewlett Packard
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Motorola Edge 70 Pro+ Confirmed to Launch in India Soon in These Shades
  2. Realme 16 Series and OnePlus 15R Become More Expensive in India
  3. Samsung Galaxy M47, Galaxy F70 Pro Surface on BIS Site With India Launch Near
  4. Xiaomi 17 Max, Band 10 Pro Will Launch on This Date: See Expected Specs
  5. Apple to Upgrade Genmoji in iOS 27 With Smarter Emoji Suggestions:Gurman
  6. Here's When the Oppo Reno 16 Series Could Be Launched
  7. Realme 16T 5G Camera Specifications Confirmed Ahead of May 22 India Launch
  8. iQOO Z11 Lite 5G Reportedly Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 6300 SoC
  1. SpaceX Dragon Capsule Reaches ISS Carrying 6,500 Pounds of Supplies
  2. YouTube’s Likeness Detection Tool Is Now Available to All Adult Creators
  3. Vi Postpaid Users in India Can Choose New International Roaming Plans From Rs 649
  4. Red Magic 11S Pro, Red Magic 11S Pro+ Launched With Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 5 Leading Edition SoC: Price, Specifications
  5. Satrangi: Badle Ka Khel OTT Release Date Revealed: Know Everything About Plot, Cast, and More
  6. Prasanth Pandiyaraj’s Warrant OTT Release Details Revealed: Know When and Where to Watch it Online
  7. Realme 16T 5G Camera Specifications Confirmed Ahead of May 22 India Launch
  8. Realme 16 Series Gets Price Hike in India; OnePlus, Poco and Lava Also Revise Rates
  9. Verus Ethereum Bridge Reportedly Suffers from $11.5 Million DeFi Hack
  10. The Travellers Now Streaming on Netflix: Know Everything About This Australian Drama Film
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.