Call of Duty: Activision Set for Another Billion-Dollar Hit With 'Modern Warfare' Launch

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare game’s highest edition is priced at $99.99 (roughly Rs. 7,000).

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 25 October 2019 10:31 IST
Highlights
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will launch on Friday
  • The game is a fresh take on the popular Modern Warfare sub series of CoD
  • Gamers portray elite soldiers hunting down targets all across the world

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, the reboot of the widely popular first-person shooter game, will launch on Friday and is set to become another billion-dollar hit for publisher Activision Blizzard. The game is a fresh take on the popular Modern Warfare sub series of the Call of Duty franchise that was initially launched in 2007 and has since become a rage among gamers. It lets gamers portray elite soldiers hunting down targets in different parts of the world.

Michael Pachter, managing director at Wedbush Securities, estimates that the new game will sell 20 million units by the end of the year, while Doug Creutz at brokerage Cowen forecast unit sales of mid-20 million in the fourth quarter.

The game's highest edition is priced at $99.99 (roughly Rs. 7,100).

Advertisement

A beta version of the game was released in September and has become the largest in the history of Call of Duty in terms of users, hours played and peak concurrent number of players, Activision said.

Advertisement

A trailer of the game on YouTube garnered more than 33 million views and 575,000 likes.


"Call of Duty is a very established annualised video game franchise and has a core dedicated fan base that comes every year and picks up the new version," said Mat Piscatella from research firm NPD Group.

Advertisement

The latest version of the game will release globally on October 25 for Sony's PlayStation 4, Microsoft's Xbox One, and PC. It will compete with other big titles to be launched later this year, including Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Pokemon Sword and Shield.

"We anticipate Call of Duty: Mobile has minted a new audience of fans who will seek out Modern Warfare as their first taste of the franchise on console and PC due to a positive experience with the mobile game," said Alex Malafeev, Co-Founder, Sensor Tower.

Advertisement

Call of Duty: Mobile, launched earlier this month, was developed for smart phones by Chinese internet giant Tencent Holdings, which also has a stake in PUBG's Bluehole and Epic Games' Fortnite and is credited with popularising the battle-royale format, where dozens of online players battle each other to death.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  2. Tipster Leaks Details of the Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Cameras
  3. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  4. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  5. Samsung Galaxy S26 Series Roundup: Here's Everything That We Know So Far
  6. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  7. Amazfit T-Rex Ultra 2 With BioTracker 6.0 Sensor Launched at This Price
  8. Poco X8 Pro, X8 Pro Max Colour Options, Design Leaked Online
  9. Redmi A7 Bags Thailand's NBTC Certification, Could Launch Soon
  10. Xiaomi 17T, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Four Months Earlier Than Usual
  1. Astronomers Find ‘Impossible’ Galaxy ACDG-2 With Virtually No Stars and a Massive Dark Matter Core
  2. Google Pixel Call Recording Reportedly Available in Additional Regions Ahead of Global Expansion
  3. Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Leak: Tipster Shares Details of Anticipated 200-Megapixel Cameras
  4. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  5. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  6. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  7. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  8. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  9. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  10. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.