Apple loses latest bid to put e-books antitrust monitor on hold

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 11 February 2014 09:23 IST
Apple Inc on Monday lost its latest bid to put a court-appointed antitrust monitor on hold, after a federal appeals court rejected its argument that the monitor's work was causing it irreparable harm.

In a brief order, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York said that monitor Michael Bromwich may continue to examine Apple's antitrust compliance policies while the company pursues a broader appeal seeking to remove him altogether.

However, the court's order addressed some of Apple's concerns, making it clear that there are limits to the monitor's powers.

An Apple spokesman declined to comment.

In a statement, a Department of Justice spokeswoman said the government was pleased with the decision.

Advertisement

"Today's ruling makes abundantly clear that Apple must now cooperate with the court-appointed monitor," said the spokeswoman, Gina Talamona.

Advertisement

U.S. District Judge Denise Cote installed Bromwich in October, three months after she found Apple liable for conspiring with five publishers to raise e-book prices.

Since then, Apple has fought a losing battle to put Bromwich on ice, complaining that he has aggressively and improperly sought interviews with key executives and broad access to company documents beyond the scope of his duties.

Advertisement

Cote rejected Apple's protests in January, saying that the company's reaction only underscored the necessity of an external monitor.

During oral arguments before a three-judge panel of the 2nd Circuit last week, lawyers for the Department of Justice agreed that Bromwich's duties were limited to assessing Apple's compliance policies and its efforts to disseminate those policies to its workers effectively.

Advertisement

Bromwich, the government said, would not be permitted to investigate whether Apple employees are actually complying with antitrust laws; if he comes across any evidence of violations, he must turn it over to Cote.

At the time, U.S. Circuit Judge Gerald Lynch seized on that concession as a potential compromise to assuage Apple's concerns that Bromwich had overreached. On Monday, the court took up that suggestion, denying Apple's request for a stay with the understanding that "the monitor will conduct his activities within the bounds" the government had described.

(Also see: Apple urges court to put e-books antitrust monitor on hold)

In the meantime, Apple will pursue its appeal of Cote's liability funding and her decision to install a monitor, a process that will likely last for months.

Bromwich declined to comment through a spokeswoman.

A trial is scheduled for May before Cote to determine how much Apple will have to pay in damages over e-book claims brought by 33 state attorneys general and class action attorneys representing consumers from 16 states. The plaintiffs are seeking $840 million, according to court documents.

The case is U.S. v. Apple, 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, No. 14-60.

© Thomson Reuters 2014

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: ebooks, Internet, Apple
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  3. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  4. Xiaomi 17T, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Four Months Earlier Than Usual
  5. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  6. Google Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025 on Android
  7. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  8. Newly Discovered Tectonic Activity Is Critical for NASA's Lunar Habitats
  9. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  10. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  1. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  2. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  3. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  4. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  5. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  6. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  7. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  8. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  9. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
  10. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online: Expected Price, Features
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.