AT&T, US Telecom Groups Seek To Block New Internet Rules

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 2 May 2015 09:59 IST

AT&T Inc , CenturyLink Inc and US telecom and cable industry groups called for regulators to block parts of new rules for Internet service providers on Friday, citing "crushing" compliance costs and threats to investment.

In filings with the Federal Communications Commission, the industry did not ask for a suspension of the principal "net neutrality" rules that ban Internet providers from blocking and slowing down web traffic or from striking deals with content companies for smoother downloads.

Instead, the groups and companies sought to block the agency's move to reclassify broadband Internet as a more heavily regulated telecommunications service, and a new broad general conduct standard that prohibits Internet providers from "unreasonably interfering" with consumers' access to the web.

Advertisement

While the requests are expected to be rejected by the FCC, they pave the way for the industry to ask courts to pause the implementation of the rules while they are being litigated. The new regulations go into effect on June 12.

Advertisement

(Also See: AT&T Profit Beats Expectations, Fewer Subscribers Defect)

After a year of intense debate over how to best regulate Internet service providers, the FCC now faces several industry lawsuits over the proposed rules in different courts. It is not clear yet which court will ultimately get to hear the arguments.

Advertisement

The FCC on Thursday asked to transfer the pending cases to the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, which has twice rejected its previous versions of net neutrality rules but last year confirmed its authority to set Internet regulations.

Cable and wireless companies earlier argued they didn't oppose the principles of net neutrality, such as no blocking of any traffic, but rejected the tighter regulatory regime. Friday's filings offer the most specific details yet of the arguments they are expected to make in court.

Advertisement

The documents cited testimonials of executives at regional and local Internet providers that the rules will create costly compliance burdens and limit resources for improvements to broadband networks or new products.

The filings said that the complexity of the rules would be "crushing" for small broadband providers with limited human and financial resources, pointing to the risk of immediate lawsuits and additional burdens from new privacy protection demands.

AT&T executives said that it would cost the company about $400 million in lost revenue to end current marketing practices in order to set up new procedures for compliance with the tighter, though yet unspecified, privacy protection requirements for broadband providers.

The filings came from the USTelecom Association, CTIA-The Wireless Association, National Cable and Telecommunications Association, the American Cable Association, AT&T, CenturyLink and the Wireless Internet Service Providers Association.

© Thomson Reuters 2015

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: At and T, Internet, Telecom, US, US Telecom
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Kingdom Come: Deliverance Gets a Next-Gen Update on PS5, Xbox Series S/X
  2. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  3. Tesla's CarPlay Rollout Might Be Experiencing Delays Due to These Reasons
  4. PS6 Could Reportedly be Delayed to 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  5. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  6. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.