US Says North Korea Behind Sony Attack as Studio Pulls 'The Interview' Release

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 18 December 2014 09:08 IST
A U.S. government source said investigators had determined that North Korea was behind a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures as the studio pulled all plans to release its comedy, "The Interview," about an assassination attempt on the North Korean leader.

Hackers who said they were incensed by the film attacked Sony last month, leaking documents that drew global headlines, and now they have forced an apparently unprecedented change of plans for a major movie release.

The United States may officially announce that the North Korean government was behind the attack in the near future, the U.S. government source said.

"The Interview" had been set to debut on December 25, Christmas Day, on thousands of screens.

Advertisement

"Sony has no further release plans for the film," a Sony spokeswoman said when asked whether the movie would be released later in theaters or as video on demand.

Advertisement

Earlier in the day Sony canceled next week's theatrical release, citing decisions by several theater chains to hold off showing the film. Sony came under immediate criticism for the decision.

"With the Sony collapse America has lost its first cyberwar. This is a very, very dangerous precedent," Tweeted former Republican House of Representatives speaker Newt Gingrich. CNN reported investigators' findings earlier in the afternoon.

Advertisement

The hacker group on Tuesday threatened attacks on movie theaters that planned to show the film, a comedy about an assassination attempt on North Korea's leader. The threat prompted major theater chains to drop plans for "The Interview" and then for Sony to cancel next week's release altogether.

Several U.S. national security officials told Reuters the government had no credible evidence of a threat to moviegoers.

Advertisement

The studio said it was "deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company."

Sony said it stood by the film makers of "The Interview," a comedy about two hapless journalists recruited by the CIA to assassinate North Korea' Kim Jong Un, starring Seth Rogen and James Franco.

Representatives for Rogen and Franco, who canceled numerous scheduled appearances this week, did not respond to requests for comment.

Hackers who claimed responsibility for seizing control and leaking data from Sony's computers last month, warned people to stay away from cinemas showing the film, and reminded moviegoers of the September 11, 2001, hijacked plane attacks on the United States.

© Thomson Reuters 2014

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Anthropic's First Indian Office in Bengaluru Is Now Open
  3. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  4. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  5. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  6. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  7. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  8. This Govt-Approved Rs. 10,000 Crore Scheme to Bolster Indian Startups
  1. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  2. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  3. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  4. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  5. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  6. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
  7. Tecno Spark 50 4G Tipped to Launch Globally Soon; Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  8. Lava Bold N2 India Launch Date Revealed; Will Be Exclusively Available via Amazon
  9. Government Green Lights Rs. 10,000 Crore Fund of Funds 2.0 Under the Startup India Mission
  10. Samsung’s 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Revealed via Leaked One UI 9 Animations
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.