Laptop Ban: Emirates, Turkish Airlines Say Exempted From Electronics Restriction

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 5 July 2017 13:32 IST
Highlights
  • The ban was lifted "effective immediately" on Dubai International
  • Emirates blamed travel restrictions for a drop in demand on US flights
  • The UK ban does not apply to flights from Dubai and Abu Dhabi

The United States has lifted the in-cabin ban on laptops and other large electronic devices on US-bound flights from Dubai and Istanbul, Emirates and Turkish Airlines said on Wednesday.

The announcements come three days after restrictions were lifted on Etihad Airways' hub Abu Dhabi International Airport.

The ban was lifted "effective immediately" on Dubai International, the world's busiest airport for international travel, after new security measures announced by the US last week were implemented, an Emirates spokeswoman said in a statement.

Advertisement

Emirates, the Middle East's largest airline and which flies to 12 US cities, had blamed travel restrictions imposed by President Donald Trump's administration for a drop in demand on US flights.

Advertisement

The Dubai-based carrier cut flights to five US cities from May, though has since said demand was starting to return on some routes.

Meanwhile, Turkish Airlines said in a statement that passengers travelling to the United States could now take their laptops onboard.

Advertisement

Chief Executive Bilal Eksi also tweeted that the airline expected a similar ban flights to Britain would soon be lifted.

US and British officials carried out inspections of security measures at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport on Tuesday, the Dogan news agency reported.

Advertisement

There was no immediate comment available from US officials on the lifting of the ban in Dubai and Istanbul.

The UK ban does not apply to flights from Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

In March, the United States imposed the ban on flights originating at 10 airports in eight countries - Egypt, Morocco, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar and Turkey - to address fears that bombs could be concealed in electronic devices taken aboard aircraft.

The United States announced on June 29 enhanced security measures for flights to the country which require additional time to screen passengers and personal electronic devices for possible explosives.

The new measures, which take effect within three weeks of the announcement, will affect around 325,000 daily passengers travelling on 180 airlines from 280 airports around the world, according to the US Department of Homeland Security.

Airlines that fail to meet the new security requirements could still face in-cabin electronics restrictions.

Saudi Arabia Airlines (Saudia) expects the ban to lifted on flights from Jeddah and Riyadh by July 19, state news agency SPA reported on Tuesday.

© Thomson Reuters 2017

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  3. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  4. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  5. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  6. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  7. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  8. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  9. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.