Australia bans China's Huawei from project citing security reasons

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 5 June 2012 00:47 IST
Highlights
  • Huawei has been blocked from tendering for equipment contracts with Australia's National Broadband Network due to security concerns.
Chinese telecoms giant Huawei has been blocked from tendering for equipment contracts with Australia's National Broadband Network (NBN) due to security concerns, a report said Monday.

The government refused to confirm the specifics of the Australian Financial Review (AFR) report. But a spokesman for Attorney-General Nicola Roxon said protecting the integrity of the ambitious NBN was of paramount importance.

"The National Broadband Network is the largest nation-building project in Australian history, and it will become the backbone of Australia's information infrastructure," Roxon's spokesman told AFP.

"As such, and as a strategic and significant government investment, we have a responsibility to do our utmost to protect its integrity and that of the information carried on it."

Huawei, which was founded by a former People's Liberation Army engineer, was instructed late last year by Canberra that it was banned from bidding for NBN equipment contracts, the AFR reported.

NBN Co., the government corporation implementing Australia's largest ever infrastructure project, had internally endorsed Huawei but the government intervened due to concerns over cyber-attacks from China, the AFR said.

Huawei's technology is used to build mobile phone networks around the world. It has repeatedly denied any links to the Chinese military, but has also run afoul of regulators and lawmakers in the United States.

There was no immediate comment from Huawei to the AFR report.

Officials say the Aus$35.9 billion ($37.5 billion) NBN will connect 93 percent of Australian homes to high-speed fibre Internet, with the remainder linked via fixed-wireless services and satellite.

Roxon's spokesman said Canberra's stringent approach to the network was "consistent with the government's practice for ensuring the security and resilience of Australia's critical infrastructure more broadly".

But the spokesman declined to comment further on "confidential" discussions with individual companies.

It is not the first time Asian cyber fears have hit major telecoms deals in Australia -- the 2001 takeover of Cable & Wireless Optus by Singapore's SingTel was heavily scrutinised due to espionage fears.

Singtel's links with Huawei, a major supplier of its equipment, also dogged Optus's bid to run the NBN before the government decided to fund it as a state project.

The computers of Australia's prime minister, foreign and defence ministers were all suspected of being hacked last March, with the attacks suspected to have originated in China.

Beijing dismissed the hacking allegations as "groundless and made out of ulterior purposes".

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement
Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  3. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  4. AMD and TCS Partner on Rack-Scale AI and HPC Infrastructure
  5. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  6. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  7. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  8. Kingdom Come: Deliverance Gets a Next-Gen Update on PS5, Xbox Series S/X
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  10. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.