Israeli Court Orders Facebook to Unblock Account of NSO Group Employee

A lawsuit was filed by NSO employees in November against Facebook in Israel.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 12 March 2020 15:26 IST
Highlights
  • Similar rulings are expected for other employees in the days to come
  • A group of NSO employees filed a suit against Facebook in November
  • They said Facebook had unfairly blocked their private accounts

The NSO employees said their Facebook and Instagram accounts had been blocked

A Tel Aviv court ordered Facebook to unblock the private account of a worker at Israeli surveillance company NSO Group, and similar rulings are expected for other employees in the coming days, an NSO spokeswoman said on Tuesday.

A group of NSO employees filed a suit against Facebook in November, saying the social media group had unfairly blocked their private accounts when it sued NSO in October.

Advertisement

Facebook-owned messaging service WhatsApp accused the Israeli firm of helping government spies break into the phones of about 1,400 users in a hacking spree targeting diplomats, political dissidents, journalists and senior government officials across the world.

The NSO employees said their Facebook and Instagram accounts, and also those of former workers and family members, had been blocked.

Advertisement

Ruling on their complaint, Tel Aviv District Court ordered the account of one employee to be restored by Wednesday afternoon.

"We are certain that following the court's unequivocal statements, Facebook will reverse the action it took against other employees," the NSO spokeswoman said.

Advertisement

Facebook said in a statement: "NSO Group has conducted cyber-attacks against human rights activists, journalists, and diplomats. We will continue to take appropriate action to defend our users and we look forward to participating in open court to document how NSO threatens the safety and security of users and needs to be held accountable."

The company said in November it had disabled "relevant accounts" after attributing a "sophisticated cyber-attack" to the NSO Group and its employees, saying the measure was necessary for security reasons.

Advertisement

WhatsApp accused NSO of facilitating government hacking sprees in 20 countries. Mexico, the United Arab Emirates, and Bahrain were the only countries identified. NSO, founded in 2009, denies the allegations.

© Thomson Reuters 2020

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Facebook, NSO, Pegasus, WhatsApp, Israel
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. New OTT Releases This Week: Dhurandhar: Raw and Uncut, Desi Bling, System, and More
  2. Portronics Launches Vayu Nano Tyre Inflator in India at This Price
  3. Realme 16T 5G Review: The Pro Looks at an Affordable Price
  4. Realme Buds Air 8 Pro Launched in India With Up to 50 Hours of Battery Life
  5. Motorola Edge 70 Pro+ Will Launch in India Soon in These Three Colourways
  6. Oppo Reno 16 Chipset Details Surface via Geekbench Listing
  7. Realme 16T Launched in India With 50-Megapixel Main Camera, 8,000mAh Battery
  8. Maa Behen OTT Release: When and Where to Watch it Online?
  9. Airtel's Priority Postpaid Service Reportedly Faces Regulatory Scrutiny
  1. Meta Launches Forum App as a Reddit-Like Platform for Discussions With AI-Powered Assistant for Admins
  2. Xiaomi 17T Series Teased to Arrive in Two Display Variants; Colour Options Revealed Ahead of Debut
  3. Honor Magic 9 Series Could Feature 8,000mAh Batteries; Tipster Leaks Camera, Display Upgrades
  4. Google Might Sell Over 2 Million Android XR-Powered Smart Glasses This Year: Report
  5. Google's Pixel Glow Feature for the Google Pixel 11 May Have Accidentally Leaked During Google I/O 2026
  6. iQOO 16 Global and Indian Debut Seemingly Confirmed as Handset Gets Listed on IMEI Database: Report
  7. Motorola Edge 70 Pro+ Camera Details Confirmed, WIll Arrive in Three Colourways
  8. Oppo Reno 16 Bags BIS, TUV SUD and TDRA Certifications That Hint at Imminent Global Debut
  9. Infinity Ward Working on Next Call of Duty, Says It's Making 'Definitive Modern Warfare' Title
  10. MacBook Pro OLED Panels to Enter Mass Production Next Month as Anticipated Launch Draws Close: Report
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.