Documents in Aaron Swartz case to be released

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 14 May 2013 12:24 IST
A U.S. judge on Monday ordered the release of previously sealed documents in the criminal hacking case against deceased Internet activist Aaron Swartz.

Swartz committed suicide in January before going to trial for allegedly stealing millions of academic articles from a private database using a computer network at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Swartz's estate asked for the documents to be released to shed light on what they have termed an overzealous prosecution of the 26-year-old.

Advertisement

The documents, which include information about Swartz's purported hacking into the JSTOR database using MIT's computer network, must be stripped of the names of witnesses and law enforcement personnel, District Judge Nathaniel Gorton ordered. Information about weaknesses in the two institution's computer networks must also be redacted, Gorton said.

Since Swartz's death, "MIT and JSTOR were subjected to a variety of threats and harassing incidents by individuals purportedly retaliating in the name of Mr. Swartz," Gorton wrote to explain why the names should not be released. The incidents included a hoax report in February that a gunman was on the loose on MIT's campus.

Advertisement

Swartz founded the group Demand Progress and led a successful campaign to block a bill introduced in 2011 in the U.S. House of Representatives called the Stop Online Piracy Act, which generated fierce opposition in the technological community. He also helped create an early version of the Web feed system RSS and played a role in building the popular news sharing web site Reddit.

The case ignited a controversy over U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz's reliance on the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act law. Prosecutors working for Ortiz used the law to charge Swartz with 13 felony counts that carried maximum prison time of 35 years although he had not profited from the JSTOR downloading.

Advertisement

Ortiz's office, which had pressed to have the names removed from the documents, praised the ruling. "We believe that the Court's ruling strikes a reasonable balance between providing the public access to relevant information and protecting the privacy and safety interests of witnesses and victims in this matter," spokeswoman Christina DiIorio-Sterling said in an email.

© Thomson Reuters 2013

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Aaron Swartz, Internet
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Motorola Edge 70 Pro+ Confirmed to Launch in India Soon in These Shades
  2. Instagram Instants Explained: What It Is, How It Works, Features and More
  3. Realme 16 Series and OnePlus 15R Become More Expensive in India
  4. Realme 16T 5G Camera Specifications Confirmed Ahead of May 22 India Launch
  5. ChatGPT Can Now Manage Your Personal Finances With These New Tools
  6. Xiaomi 17 Max, Band 10 Pro Will Launch on This Date: See Expected Specs
  7. YouTube's Likeness Detection Tool Is Now Available to All Adult Creators
  8. India Generated Over a Billion Images With ChatGPT Images 2.0, Says OpenAI CEO
  9. Here's When the Xiaomi 17T Series Will Launch Globally
  10. iPhone Fold Leaks & Rumors 2026 | Apple's Foldable iPhone Launch, Price & Specs Revealed
  1. YouTube’s Likeness Detection Tool Is Now Available to All Adult Creators
  2. Vi Postpaid Users in India Can Choose New International Roaming Plans From Rs 649
  3. Red Magic 11S Pro, Red Magic 11S Pro+ Launched With Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 5 Leading Edition SoC: Price, Specifications
  4. Satrangi: Badle Ka Khel OTT Release Date Revealed: Know Everything About Plot, Cast, and More
  5. Prasanth Pandiyaraj’s Warrant OTT Release Details Revealed: Know When and Where to Watch it Online
  6. Realme 16T 5G Camera Specifications Confirmed Ahead of May 22 India Launch
  7. Realme 16 Series Gets Price Hike in India; OnePlus, Poco and Lava Also Revise Rates
  8. Verus Ethereum Bridge Reportedly Suffers from $11.5 Million DeFi Hack
  9. The Travellers Now Streaming on Netflix: Know Everything About This Australian Drama Film
  10. Xiaomi 17T Series Set to Launch Globally on May 28; Confirmed to Arrive With a Leica-Tuned Cameras
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.