Germany arrests two Dutch citizens in $45 million cyber heist case

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 11 May 2013 12:20 IST
German prosecutors said on Friday they had arrested two Dutch citizens suspected of taking part in a $45 million global cyber heist unveiled the previous day by U.S. authorities.

A 35-year-old man and a 56-year-old woman were caught on February 19 withdrawing 170,000 euros in D~CHECK~sseldorf using Bank of Muscat credit cards. In total, $2.4 million dollars was withdrawn in seven German cities, the prosecutors said.

On Thursday, U.S. prosecutors said an international criminal gang had stolen $45 million from two Middle Eastern banks by hacking into credit card processing firms and withdrawing money from cash machines in 27 countries.

The ringleaders of the global operation were believed to be outside the United States but U.S. prosecutors have declined to give details, citing the continuing investigation. Germany is the only other country so far to announce arrests.

A spokesman for the D~CHECK~sseldorf prosecutor's office said the two Dutch people under arrest had come to D~CHECK~sseldorf with the purpose of withdrawing money in Germany. The two suspects are accused of computer fraud and faking credit cards.

Advertisement

Germany's banking association, BdB, said it was not aware of any banks in Germany suffering losses as a result of the scheme.

In the complaint on Thursday, the U.S. Justice Department accused eight men of withdrawing $2.4 million from 3,000 bank cash machines in New York in the space of 10 hours in February. The Department said seven of the men have been arrested.

Advertisement

Dominican police on Friday confirmed that the eighth, Alberto Lajud-Pena, allegedly the leader of the New York cell, was killed in the Dominican Republic on April 27.

Lajud-Pena was shot dead in a robbery at a house in the town of San Francisco de Macoris, about 100 miles (160 km) northeast of Santo Domingo, local police said. Investigators found $100,000 in cash in the house, as well as an M-16 assault rifle, two 9 mm pistols, a revolver, ammunition clips and a telescopic sight. It was not clear if the killing or the money were related to the cyber thefts.

Advertisement

According to the Justice Department, the hackers allegedly increased the available balance and withdrawal limits on prepaid MasterCard debit cards issued by Bank of Muscat of Oman, and National Bank of Ras Al Khaimah PSC (RAKBANK) of the United Arab Emirates.

They then distributed counterfeit debit cards to "cashers" around the world, enabling them to siphon millions of dollars from cash machines in a matter of hours, the complaint said.

National Bank of Ras Al Khaimah (RAKBANK) said on Friday the fraud against it took place at the end of last year and resulted in losses of around $4.7 million for the United Arab Emirates-based lender.

RAKBANK Chief Executive Graham Honeybill said he believed the fraud went wider than lenders in the Gulf region. "We are given to understand that the overall fraud encompassed a number of banks not only in the Middle East but in the USA and other countries," Honeybill said in a statement.

The amount of the potential loss for RAKBANK was 17.4 million UAE dirhams and this had been fully provided for before it closed its 2012 accounts, Honeybill said.

"The bank can confirm that none of its customers suffered any financial loss as a result of this fraud," he added.

The incident related to events in December 2012 and involved the bank's service provider in India, he said, without naming the provider or giving any further details.

© Thomson Reuters 2013

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Internet, Cyber crime
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. 7 ColorOS 16 Features You'll Wish Every Smartphone Had
  2. Moto G Max Goes on Sale in India: Check Price, Offers
  3. Infinix Hot 70 Pro India Launch Timeline Announced; Colourways Teased
  4. This Is When Apple Can Announce Its iPhone 18 Series Launch Event
  5. iQOO Z11 Launched in India With These Features: See Price
  6. Sony Reportedly Rebooting Horizon Hunters Gathering After Poor Feedback
  1. Vivo V2607 Geekbench Listing Reveals Key Details: What You Need to Know
  2. Elon Musk’s X Considers Stablecoin-Based Payments for Influencers and Content Providers
  3. Sony's Live Service Co-Op Game Horizon Hunters Gathering Reportedly Being Rebooted After Poor Player Feedback
  4. BitGo Becomes First Global Crypto Firm to Secure South Korea VASP Licence
  5. Huawei Pura X View Pre-Orders Begin; Confirmed to Feature Wide-Screen 16:9.5 Display, 7,000mAh Battery
  6. iQOO Gaming Tablet Tipped to Get Active Cooling, Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 6 Pro SoC
  7. OnePlus Tipped to Launch a New 4G Phone Exclusively in India Next Month
  8. Qualcomm Teases Two New Snapdragon 8 Elite Chips Ahead of Snapdragon Summit
  9. Lava Bold N4 Lite India Launch Date Announced; Design and Durability Details Teased
  10. Coinbase Expands Tokenisation Push With Abu Dhabi Regulatory Approval
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.