ICANN targets May 22 to resume name expansion

Advertisement
By Associated Press | Updated: 5 June 2012 12:25 IST
Highlights
  • The organisation overseeing an expansion of Internet address suffixes hopes to resume taking proposals on May 22 following a technical glitch.
The organisation overseeing a major expansion of Internet address suffixes hopes to resume taking proposals on May 22 following a technical glitch that shut down its computer system for weeks.

Last month, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers abruptly shut down a system for letting companies and organizations propose new suffixes, after it discovered a software glitch that exposed some private data. The data in some cases offered clues about which companies were proposing what suffixes - details that were supposed to be confidential. ICANN said it had no evidence that anyone intentionally viewed the data.

If it can accept proposals again as planned, the application window will run until May 30.

The original deadline was April 12, but ICANN shut down the system just hours before it was to close. At the time, ICANN planned to reopen the system within four business days. Instead, it found it needed more time to figure out why the software had failed and how to fix it. It also had to notify affected applicants.

Up to 1,000 domain name suffixes - the ".com" part of an Internet address - could be added each year in the most sweeping change to the domain name system since its creation in the 1980s.

From a technical standpoint, the names let Internet-connected computers know where to send email and locate websites. But they've come to mean much more.

The idea behind the expansion is to let Las Vegas hotels, casinos and other attractions congregate around ".Vegas," or a company such as Canon Inc. draw customers to "cameras.Canon" or "printers.Canon." The new system would also make Chinese, Japanese and Swahili versions of ".com" possible.

The delay shouldn't have a major effect on the availability of new suffixes, as the new names won't appear in general use until at least next spring anyway - in many cases, much later.

Before ICANN suspended applications, it had received 2,091 submissions - fully completed or in progress - and another 214 for which it was still awaiting or processing application fees. That means applications will be divided into at least four batches of about 500 each, potentially stretching the review process over a few years.

Each application costs $185,000. Applicants had been allowed to withdraw bids for a partial refund, but ICANN said this week that they could get all their money back because of the glitch if desired.

ICANN has received $350 million in applications fees so far. The money will pay for ICANN's costs setting up the system, reviewing applications and making sure parties do what they have promised once the suffix is operational. Some of the money will be set aside for potential lawsuits from unsuccessful applicants and others. Companies can make money by selling names under approved suffixes.

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Canon Inc., ICANN
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  3. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  4. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  5. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  6. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  7. Samsung's 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Spotted in Leaked One UI 9 Animations
  1. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  2. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  3. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
  4. Tecno Spark 50 4G Tipped to Launch Globally Soon; Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  5. Lava Bold N2 India Launch Date Revealed; Will Be Exclusively Available via Amazon
  6. Government Green Lights Rs. 10,000 Crore Fund of Funds 2.0 Under the Startup India Mission
  7. Samsung’s 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Revealed via Leaked One UI 9 Animations
  8. Realme P4 Lite India Launch Date Announced; Design, Colour Options, Key Features Revealed
  9. Kingdom Come: Deliverance's Free Next-Gen Update on PS5, Xbox Series S/X Is Now Out
  10. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications; Charging Specifications Revealed Ahead of Launch
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.