Snowden, Assange Join Dotcom Attacking 'Spying' NZ Government

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 15 September 2014 20:19 IST

Former US intelligence operative Edward Snowden and fellow fugitive WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange joined forces Monday to attack the New Zealand government accusing it of mass surveillance on its people, five days before the country goes to the polls.

The appearance of the 'fugitives' together, albeit by satellite links, was part of "The Moment of Truth" event organised by Kim Dotcom, the Internet mogul fighting extradition from New Zealand to the United States to face online piracy charges.

Dotcom, who has campaigned for the centre-right National Party-led government of Prime Minister John Key to be voted out of office on Saturday, promised many weeks ago he would drop a "bombshell" before the election.

Advertisement

Snowden, appearing live from Moscow where he has been granted three year's residency, claimed the US National Security Agency (NSA) had a facility in New Zealand.

Advertisement

He said that during his work as an analyst with the NSA he regularly came across communications of New Zealanders, and New Zealand also housed one of a network of sensors around the world which allowed access to email addresses.

Assange, speaking from the Ecuador embassy in London where he has been holed up for three years, spoke of New Zealand's role within the Five Eyes intelligence network with the United States, Britain, Canada and Australia.

Advertisement

US investigative journalist Glenn Greenwald, who appeared live at the forum held in the Auckland Town Hall, said the Key government had planned to exploit laws passed last year to broaden their intelligence gathering.

He said they completed the first phase of accessing a telecommunications cable into the country.

Advertisement

However, ahead of the event Key released a series of papers that he said would counter "misinformation" about the workings of New Zealanad's Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB).

(Also See: Kim Dotcom's Party Poised to Win New Zealand Seats)

"There is not, and never has been, a cable access surveillance programme operating in New Zealand," Key said.

"There is not, and never has been, mass surveillance of New Zealanders undertaken by the GCSB."

Key also dismissed an email which purported to show he was involved in a plan to have German-born Dotcom settled in New Zealand so he could be extradited to the United States.

The email dated October 27, 2010 is said to be from Warner Brothers chairman and chief executive Kevin Tsujihara to a senior executive at the Motion Picture Association of America.

It said in part: "I see strong support for our anti-piracy effort. John Key told me in private that they are granting Dotcom residency despite pushback from officials about his criminal past."

Warner Brothers called the email a "fabrication" and senior vice president Paul McGuire told the New Zealand Herald that Tsujihara "never had any such conversation with Prime Minister Key."

US prosecutors say Dotcom's now-defunct Megaupload sites netted more than US$175 million in criminal proceeds and cost copyright-owners more than US$500 million by offering pirated copies of movies, TV shows and other content.

The entrepreneur with a reputation for a colourful lifestyle, was arrested in 2012 by New Zealand police acting on behalf of the FBI.

He denies any wrongdoing and is on bail while he fights extradition proceedings.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  4. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  5. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.