SolarWinds Hack Response Leader Named by White House Amid Criticism

Anne Neuberger, the deputy national security adviser for cyber and emergency technology, was in charge of remediating the hack.

Advertisement
By Associated Press | Updated: 11 February 2021 11:42 IST
Highlights
  • The intruders stealthily scooped up intelligence for months
  • Leaders of Senate Intelligence Committee blasted Biden administration
  • House Homeland Security Committee held hearing with cybersecurity experts

The hack, connected to tainted software from the US firm SolarWinds, was publicly revealed in December

After members of Congress criticised as “disorganised” the US response to a massive breach of government departments and private corporations discovered late last year, the White House announced Wednesday that a senior national security official had been leading the effort since the first day of the Biden administration.

Anne Neuberger, the deputy national security adviser for cyber and emergency technology, was in charge of remediating the hack, identifying issues with the federal government's response and launching a study aimed at preventing similar incidents, the White House said.

Intelligence and law enforcement officials are still trying to piece together the cyberespionage campaign blamed on Russia that has badly shaken the US government and private sector. The hack, connected to tainted software from the US firm SolarWinds, was publicly revealed in December but believed to have begun more than a year earlier.

Advertisement

The intruders stealthily scooped up intelligence for months, carefully choosing targets from thousands of customers infected with malicious code they activated after sneaking it into an update of network management software first pushed out last March by Texas-based SolarWinds. The company makes popular software that monitors computer networks of businesses and governments.

Advertisement

So far, the list of agencies known to have been affected includes the Treasury, Commerce and Justice departments, along with several private companies including cyber-security firms. The Russian government has denied any role in the hack.

In a letter released Tuesday, leaders of the Senate Intelligence Committee blasted the Biden administration for what they said was a lackluster reaction to the SolarWinds hack.

Advertisement

“The briefings we have received convey a disjointed and disorganised response to confronting the breach,” Sens. Mark Warner, D-Va., and Marco Rubio, R-Fla., said in the letter.

Warner, the new Democratic chairman of the committee, and Rubio, the Republican vice chairman, urged the Biden administration to “name and empower a clear leader” who has the authority to “coordinate the response, set priorities, and direct resources to where they are needed.”

Advertisement

The White House response on Wednesday pointed to Neuberger's role since Biden's inauguration. The response to the letter was first reported by The New York Times.

“In the first weeks of the Biden administration DNSA Neuberger has held a series of consultations with both Democratic and Republican members of Congress on our approach to SolarWinds specifically and our cyber-security strategy broadly,” said Emily Horne, a spokeswoman for the National Security Council. “We look forward to continuing to work with Congress on these issues.”

A joint statement from Warner and Rubio acknowledged the White House's reassurance and suggested Neuberger's role had not been known.

“The federal government's response to date to the SolarWinds breach has lacked the leadership and coordination warranted by a significant cyber event, so it is welcome news that the Biden administration has selected Anne Neuberger to lead the response," the statement said.

Also on Wednesday, the House Homeland Security Committee held a hearing with cyber-security experts to discuss the SolarWinds hack and other issues.

“In the not too distant past ... most of us had never heard of SolarWinds, but now it dominates cyber-security conversations,” said Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., the committee's chairman.


Can Realme X7 Pro take on OnePlus Nord? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.

Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: SolarWinds, cybersecurity
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  3. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  4. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  5. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  6. Tipster Leaks Details of the Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Cameras
  7. Poco X8 Pro Series Display, Chipset, Battery Details Leak Online
  8. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  1. Google Pixel Call Recording Reportedly Available in Additional Regions Ahead of Global Expansion
  2. Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Leak: Tipster Shares Details of Anticipated 200-Megapixel Cameras
  3. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  4. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  5. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  6. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  7. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  8. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  9. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  10. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.