Jobs says Apple made mistakes with iPhone data

Advertisement
By Miguel Helft, New York Times | Updated: 12 June 2012 18:03 IST
Highlights
  • Hoping to put to rest a growing controversy over privacy, Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, took the unusual step of personally explaining that while Apple had made mistakes in how it handled location data on its mobile devices, it had not used t
Hoping to put to rest a growing controversy over privacy, Steven P. Jobs, Apple's chief executive, took the unusual step of personally explaining that while Apple had made mistakes in how it handled location data on its mobile devices, it had not used the iPhone and iPad to keep tabs on the whereabouts of its customers.

"We haven't been tracking anybody," Mr. Jobs said in an interview on Wednesday. "Never have. Never will."

Mr. Jobs said that Apple would fix the mistakes in a free software update that it would release in the next few weeks.

Mr. Jobs, who is currently on medical leave, addressed the issue along with two Apple executives -- Philip W. Schiller, the senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, and Scott Forstall, the senior vice president of iPhone software. A week ago, two researchers reported that they had discovered a file in Apple's devices containing what appeared to be data of the locations visited by users over the previous 12 months. The discovery raised fears that Apple was tracking its users and prompted investigations by various European governments and demands for explanations from United States lawmakers.

Earlier on Wednesday, Apple posted a statement on its Web site explaining how its system used the file to pinpoint a phone's location.

Mr. Jobs defended the timing of Apple's response to the controversy, saying that "rather than run to the P.R. department," it set out to determine exactly what happened.

"The first thing we always do when a problem is brought to us is we try to isolate it and find out if it is real," he said. "It took us about a week to do an investigation and write a response, which is fairly quick for something this technically complicated."

He added, "Scott and Phil and myself were all involved in writing the response because we think it is that important."

Some privacy advocates who were harshly critical of Apple last week praised the company's response, saying it was a step in the right direction.

"Apple acknowledged a mistake and they fixed it," Marc Rotenberg, executive director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, said in an interview. "That's a good thing."

Confirming speculation from some security researchers, Apple said in the statement posted on its Web site that the file in people's iPhones was not a log of their locations but rather "the locations of Wi-Fi hot spots and cell towers surrounding the iPhone's location, which can be more than one hundred miles away from the iPhone."

Apple said it used the data, which it called a cache, to calculate a device's location more quickly than through GPS satellites.

But Apple acknowledged that it had made mistakes, which it attributed to programming errors, in storing the data for a long time, keeping the file unencrypted and storing the data even when users had chosen to turn off location services.

"The system is incredibly complex," Mr. Forstall said. "We test this carefully but in such a complex system there are sometimes places where we could do better."

Apple said it would reduce the location cache on the iPhone to no more than seven days. The company also said it would stop backing up the cache onto people's computers and would delete the cache entirely when users turned off location services.

Apple also said that it updated its database of Wi-Fi hot spots and cell towers by using its customers' phones as sensors. But it said that it could not locate users based on the file on the phone, and that it collected the information in an anonymous and encrypted form. The company cannot identify the phone user from the data, it said.

While some security experts have known about the existence of the file for some time, the issue made headlines last week after the researchers reported their findings at a technology conference in San Francisco. Apple came under heavy criticism for its silence after the discovery.

The location report attracted attention from some government officials, including Senator Al Franken, Democrat of Minnesota, who sent a stern letter to Apple asking why it was "secretly compiling" the data and what it would be used for. Congressman Edward Markey, a Democrat from Massachusetts, and Lisa Madigan, the Illinois attorney general, also sent letters to Apple asking for an explanation of the issue.

Google acknowledged last week that it, too, collected data about the location of Wi-Fi hot spots and cell towers from its users.

Apple's statement contained a tidbit about possible future product plans. The company said it also was collecting traffic data from its phones and tablets to build a crowd-sourced traffic database. That would enable Apple to provide real-time traffic information along with navigation advice. Google already uses Android phones to collect real-time traffic information.
Mr. Jobs declined to answer questions about his health or about any plans to return to Apple. Last week, during the company's quarterly financial report, Timothy D. Cook, the chief operating officer, said, "He continues to be involved in major strategic decisions, and I know he wants to be back full time."

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: apple, iphone tracking, steve jobs
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  3. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  4. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  5. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  6. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  7. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  8. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  9. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.