Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Recall: South Korea Orders X-Ray Tests to Check Batteries

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 23 September 2016 16:09 IST

South Korea said on Thursday it ordered Samsung Electronics Co Ltd to take additional measures to ensure that batteries used in Galaxy Note 7 handsets are safe, as the firm prepares to resume sales of the smartphone in South Korea.

The world's top smartphone maker announced earlier this month a recall of at least 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7s across the globe due to faulty batteries causing some of the phones to catch fire. The firm is already issuing replacement devices using what it says are safe batteries in several markets including South Korea and the United States.

(Also seeSamsung Galaxy Note 7 Recall: Here's How to Check If Your Unit Is Safe)

The Korean Agency for Technology and Standards, in a statement, formally approved the recall plan and said the new batteries being used are safe.

Advertisement

The agency ordered Samsung to have its supplier conduct X-ray tests on the batteries prior to shipment. It also ordered Samsung to carry out inspections on its own as an additional safeguard and to extend the refund deadline to September 30 from September 19 previously.

Samsung declined to comment on how many phones are being recalled in South Korea, but the firm's report to the agency dated September 2 seen by Reuters showed that 429,000 Note 7 phones had been sold prior to the recall. The firm said it is in talks with domestic carriers to offer a KRW 30,000 ($27.21) mobile tariff credit to affected customers for their October bill.

Advertisement

(Also see: Can You Trust the Lithium-Ion Battery in Your Pocket?)

The South Korean firm is pushing to get its recall completed as quickly as possible in order to limit damage to its reputation and earnings, and resume sales. Some analysts said the recall could cost Samsung nearly $5 billion in lost revenue.

Advertisement

Samsung, which halted Note 7 sales in countries affected by the recall, plans to resume new sales of the Note 7 in South Korea on September 28.

© Thomson Reuters 2016

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Poco M8x 5G Will Launch in India With This Battery, Charging Support
  2. iQOO Z11, Buds Key Specifications Confirmed Ahead of India Launch
  3. These Realme Smartphones Are Getting More Expensive in India Starting Today
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Alleged Renders Leaked by Tipster; Design, Colour Options Revealed
  2. Binance Plans UK Comeback With FCA Licence Bid: Report
  3. Vivo Phones Could Get Google’s Scam Detection Feature, Suggests APK Teardown
  4. BitBox Patches Security Flaws That Could Expose Wallets to Malicious Firmware
  5. ChatGPT for Teens Launches Globally With Study Mode, Parental Controls and Safety Features
  6. Oppo Find X10 Could Feature 6.59-Inch 1.5K Display With BT.2020 Colour Gamut
  7. Google to Reportedly End Pixel Phones, Watches and Earbuds Manufacturing in China from 2027; Might Expand Production in India, Vietnam
  8. Samsung Galaxy M17, Galaxy F17 Prices in India Hiked For Second Time in Six Months; Xiaomi Pad 8 Gets Expensive
  9. [Exclusive] Boat Said to be Developing Conversational AI Features for Its Audio Products
  10. CMF Buds Neo India Launch Date Confirmed, Design Revealed Ahead of Debut
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.