Smartphones Weigh on Samsung Electronics as Guidance Disappoints

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 8 July 2014 19:59 IST
Samsung Electronics Co Ltd on Tuesday issued unexpectedly weak quarterly earnings guidance which put it on track for its worst results in two years and cast doubt on the smartphone leader's strategy against cheaper Chinese rivals.

Though the South Korean company said it saw better business conditions in the third quarter, it faces slowing market growth, intensifying price competition at the lower end and the looming threat of Apple's next iPhone.

"The earnings deliver a harsh reality check to Samsung that it is not Apple, but Samsung. Its strategy of selling phones at expensive prices will not work anymore, as Chinese rivals also offer good enough phones at much cheaper prices," Lee Seung-woo, a technology analyst at IBK Securities, said.

Advertisement

"Samsung needs to review its smartphone strategy," he said.

While smartphones drove Samsung to record profits last year, the market is maturing. Research firm IDC predicts global shipments growth will slow to 19.3 percent this year from 39.2 percent in 2013, while average sales prices will also drop.

Advertisement

(Also see: 2014 Smartphone Sales to Top 1.2 Billion Units: IDC)

Some analysts said Samsung may have no choice but to slash prices for mid-to-low tier devices, where growth is stronger, to go after Chinese rivals such as Huawei Technologies Co Ltd and Lenovo Group Ltd. While that would help defend market share it would also hurt margins, curbing its earnings recovery in the short term.

Advertisement

The company said it "cautiously expects" a better third-quarter outlook with the release of a new smartphone lineup, lower marketing costs and a seasonal lift in demand for its memory business. Its flagship Galaxy Note 4 is expected to hit the market in September.

Samsung's second-quarter guidance was well below the mean forecast of 8.3 trillion won from a Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S survey of 38 analysts.

Advertisement

CIMB analyst Lee Do-hoon, one of the few to accurately predict Samsung's second-quarter guidance, said the company appeared to be taking longer to address challenges it is facing in the mid-to-low end of the market. He did not expect a meaningful third-quarter earnings recovery and predicted that analysts would cut their forecasts.

"Samsung has been talking about strengthening its mid-to-low tier lineup but we found that this has not happened yet and will take more time," he said.

Shares in Samsung, down more than 10 percent since the start of June through Monday, rose as much as 2.1 percent after the earnings guidance, as some analysts said the second-quarter results may mark a low point in earnings. The stock later gave back much of that gain.

Sagging profits
Samsung estimated on Tuesday that its April-June operating profit likely fell 24.5 percent from a year earlier to 7.2 trillion won ($7.12 billion), the sharpest percentage drop since the first quarter of 2011 and the weakest level since a 6.5 trillion won profit in the second quarter of 2012.

The figure, which marks the third straight quarter of annual profit decline, was far below market expectations as sales fell for the first time since the company adopted new accounting standards in 2009.

In a separate statement, Samsung said second-quarter earnings would be hit by slower global smartphone market growth, competition in China, inventory buildup in Europe and the strength of the won, which appreciated by around 9 percent on average against the dollar during the second quarter.

But analysts on average expect the streak of on-year profit declines to extend into the third quarter, with Apple widely tipped to launch a successor to the iPhone 5 to compete with Samsung's high-end smartphones. The prior year's record 10.2 trillion won profit could also be difficult to beat.

"Samsung is most competitive in the mid-to-high end products, but market demand is being driven in the lower-tier end where the biggest issue is price," said HMC Investment analyst Greg Roh.

"I think problems for the company's mobile division will continue in the third quarter."

© Thomson Reuters 2014

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Airtel's Priority Postpaid Becomes India's First 5G Network Slicing Service
  2. Google's Android XR Glasses With Gemini AI to Launch Later This Fall
  3. Google I/O 2026: How to Watch Keynote Live and What to Expect
  4. Google IO 2026: Here's Everything That Was Announced During the Event
  5. Xiaomi 17 Max Reportedly Spotted on Geekbench Ahead of May 21 Launch
  6. Google Brings Agentic Experiences Across Apps With Gemini Spark
  1. Google IO 2026: Here’s Everything That Was Announced From Gemini 3.5 Flash to Gemini Omni
  2. Google I/O 2026: Google, Samsung Showcase Gemini-Powered Android XR Smart Glasses
  3. Google I/O 2026: Gemini Omni for AI Videos, Gemini 3.5 Series Models Unveiled
  4. Google I/O 2026: Gemini Spark Brings Agentic Experiences Across Google Docs, Slides and More Apps
  5. Massive Solar Storm Reveals How Mars Is Losing Its Atmosphere
  6. Samsung Galaxy S27 Series Tipped to Include New Pro Model; Galaxy S27 Ultra Said to Offer Hardware Upgrades
  7. Redmi Turbo 5 India Launch Timeline Leaked, Tipped to Retain Same Features as Chinese Variant
  8. Airtel Introduces Priority Postpaid With India's First 5G Network Slicing Starting at Rs. 449
  9. Echo Protocol Exploit Sees Hacker Mint Unauthorised eBTC Worth $76.7 Million
  10. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Price and Specifications Surface on Retail Listing Ahead of May 28 Launch
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.