Happy Birthday, Google Plus - How Are You Still Alive?

Advertisement
By Abby Ohlheiser, The Washington Post | Updated: 29 June 2016 10:48 IST
Highlights
  • Google+ turned 5 years old Tuesday
  • Google tried a lot to keep plus alive
  • Google hasn't given up on its designated social network yet
Actor Daniel Radcliffe's only verified social media account is on Google+, a wonderful social network for the introverts among us who would prefer to avoid most people.

Google+ turned 5 years old Tuesday. It was once supposed to kill Facebook. Now we wonder how it's still alive.

Google+ was so thoughtful. Instead of making everyone your "friend," it connected you through different "circles." A work buddy could be a work buddy, an acquaintance an acquaintance. Real friends could be real friends online, too.

"We'd like to bring the nuance and richness of real-life sharing to software," the introductory blog post read. Just as Google had become the primary place people searched for information on the Internet, Google wanted Google+, and not Facebook, to be the primary way that humans experienced other people online. Facebook, which was well on its way to accomplishing that very thing, declared war in response. Chief executive Mark Zuckerberg put the company into "lockdown."

Advertisement

A Facebook "lockdown" is "a state of war that dated to Facebook's earliest days, when no one could leave the building while the company confronted some threat, either competitive or technical," as Vanity Fair described in its recent deep dive into this war. The lockdown was declared, VF reported, with the lighting up of a neon sign in Facebook's offices, installed just for this purpose. (Facebook won the battle.)

Advertisement

Still, some of us were optimistic at first. Here is a Facebook post I wrote in 2011, when Google+ and I were both babies:

"Hi Facebook. I think I like Google+ a lot more. But I'll still use you."

Advertisement

I did not use Google+ for very long. My last post to the network was in March 2012.

Google tried a lot to keep plus alive. It integrated G+ profiles with YouTube, which meant that YouTube commenters suddenly needed profiles from the social network to comment. Google dropped that required integration after it made some people very angry. Google even told its employees in 2011 that their bonuses were tied to the success or failure of "our strategy to integrate relationships, sharing and identity across our products."

Advertisement

It became obvious to some employees who worked on the project that Google+ wasn't going to succeed within months. "It was clear if you looked at the per user metrics, people weren't posting, weren't returning and weren't really engaging with the product," a former employee told Mashable last year. "Six months in, there started to be a feeling that this isn't really working."

So why is Google+ still alive? Last year, Wired made the case that two other products that launched with the actual social network the now spun-out hangouts and photos helped to make Google into a social network anyway. Google can and does learn a lot about you even if you never use Google+.

But Google hasn't given up on its designated social network yet. Google overhauled Google+ last year to try to make it less of a Facebook clone and more of a community-based sharing site like Pinterest.

The November changes haven't led to the Google+ renaissance, but it did at least reset the death clocks.

Anyway, happy birthday, Google+?

© 2016 The Washington Post

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Facebook, Google, Google Plus, Social
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Adobe Lets Students in India Access Photoshop, Acrobat and Firefly for Free
  2. Vivo V70, Vivo V70 Elite 5G Launching Today: Everything You Need to Know
  3. Reliance Jio Launches JioHome Cricket Offer With Rs. 99 Power Play Pass
  1. Lunar Surface Is Cracking as New Tectonic Map Reveals Recent Ridges Stretching Across the Moon, Study Suggests
  2. Nothing Phone 4a Series Confirmed to Launch With Snapdragon Chipsets: Expected Specifications, Features
  3. Tu Meri Main Tera Main Tera Tu Meri Out on OTT: Where to Watch Kartik Aaryan, Ananya Panday’s Rom-Com?
  4. AI Impact Summit: Adobe Offers Indian Students Free Access to Photoshop, Acrobat and Firefly Apps
  5. Meta Reportedly Plans Smartwatch Launch in 2026 With Meta AI, Health Tracking Features
  6. Infinix Xpad 30E Launched With 11-Inch Display, 7,000mAh Battery: Price, Specifications
  7. The Elder Scrolls 6 Will Return to Bethesda's 'Classic Style' After Fallout 76 and Starfield, Says Todd Howard
  8. Nothing Phone 4a, Phone 4a Pro to Reportedly Share Battery, Camera, and Chipset as Specifications Surface
  9. Psycho Saiyaan Streams for Free on MX Player Soon: What to Know About Tejasswi Prakash’s Digital Debut
  10. AI Impact Summit: Pine Labs Announces Collaboration With OpenAI to Expand Agentic Commerce for Merchants in India
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.