Tesla CEO Elon Musk to Meet US President Donald Trump on Immigration Ban

Advertisement
By Press Trust of India | Updated: 3 February 2017 13:55 IST

Automaker Tesla CEO Elon Musk today said he will attend the Presidential Advisory Forum meeting tomorrow and express opposition to the recent executive order on immigration.

Uber CEO and former member of the Forum, Travis Kalanick has already withdrawn from the Forum, following criticism by various groups opposing the new administration's immigration policies.

Trump's advisory group was established last year and includes names like IBM chief executive Ginni Rometty and Indian-American PepsiCo chief Indra Nooyi.

"In December, I agreed to join the Presidential Advisory Forum to provide feedback on issues that I think are important for our country and the world," Musk said in a statement.

Advertisement

He further said: "In tomorrow's meeting, I and others will express our objections to the recent executive order on immigration and offer suggestions for changes to the policy."

Stressing that being part of an advisory council did not mean that he agreed with actions by the Administration, Musk said he believes that engaging on critical issues at this time will serve the "greater good".

Advertisement

"Advisory councils simply provide advice and attending does not mean that I agree with actions by the Administration...I understand the perspective of those who object to my attending this meeting, but I believe at this time that engaging on critical issues will on balance serve the greater good," he said.

Musk added that his goals are to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy and to help make humanity a multi-planet civilisation.

Advertisement

"... a consequence of which will be the creation of hundreds of thousands of jobs and a more inspiring future for all," he added.

Uber's Kalanick said there are many ways in which his company would continue to advocate for just change on immigration "but staying on the council was going to get in the way of that".

Heads of technology companies including Microsoft, Google owner Alphabet Inc, Apple Inc and Amazon.com Inc have already voiced their opposition to Trump's order, arguing that they rely on workers from around the world.

Trump Immigration Order: Microsoft Bats for Exception Program 

India, too, will be significantly impacted by the possible clampdown on visas and flow of skilled manpower, given Trump's anti-outsourcing stance.

Industry body Nasscom, which represents the $110 billion Indian IT exports industry, will take a delegation of senior executives to Washington DC later this month to reach out to the new US administration as well as senators on these concerns.

The proposed overhaul of popular H-1B visa regime may result in higher operational costs and shortage of skilled workers for the Indian outsourcing industry that gets over 60 percent of its revenues from the US.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Vivo X500 Pro Series Allegedly Spotted in the Wild Ahead of China Launch
  2. 007 First Light Has Reached 4 Million Copies Sold in 3 Months
  3. Bhutan Transfers 490 Bitcoin Worth $32.7 Million to Fresh Addresses
  4. Lava Virat V1 Pro 5G India Launch Date Confirmed, Key Specifications Leaked
  5. BGMI Redeem Codes for August 21 Released: How to Claim Free Rewards
  6. Nike Pegasus Plus 2 Brings Visible Air Zoom Tech, ZoomX Foam for Everyday Runs
  7. Poco M8x 5G With a 7,900mAh Battery Debuts in India at This Price
  8. Vivo Announces Upcoming Launch of Vivo T5 5G in India
  9. Poco X8 Power, Poco X8 India Launch and Specifications Leaked
  10. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Renders Leak Again, Suggesting Three Colour Options
  1. MANTRA Halts Network Transactions Following Unspecified Incident
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Renders Leak Again, Suggesting Three Colour Options
  3. Poco X8 Power, Poco X8 India Launch Timeline, Key Features Leaked
  4. Xbox Series X25 Limited Edition Console Will Reportedly Cost EUR 899.99, Launch on November 27
  5. Bhutan Transfers 490 Bitcoin Worth $32.7 Million to Fresh Addresses
  6. Vivo X500 Pro Series Model Allegedly Spotted in the Wild Ahead of China Launch
  7. Qualcomm’s Upcoming Flagship Snapdragon Chipset Names Tipped Ahead of Launch
  8. Lava Virat V1 Pro 5G India Launch Date Confirmed, Key Specifications Leaked
  9. Vivo T5 5G India Launch Confirmed; Flipkart Availability, 3D Curved Display Teased
  10. AI Is Key Smartphone Buying Factor for 82 Percent of Indian Consumers, Shows Amazon Survey
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.