Tesla's Musk Must Address SEC Contempt Bid as He Calls Agency 'Broken'

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 27 February 2019 10:14 IST
Highlights
  • US District Judge ordered Elon Musk to give his explanation by March 11
  • The order came hours after Musk criticised SEC
  • Analysts project an overhang on Tesla's stock

A federal judge on Tuesday ordered Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk to explain by March 11 why he should not be held in contempt for violating his fraud settlement with the US Securities and Exchange Commission.

The order by US District Judge Alison Nathan in Manhattan came hours after the billionaire criticised SEC oversight as "broken," in the wake of the regulator's request on Monday night that he be held in contempt.

Lawyers for Tesla and Musk did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Tesla did not immediately respond to similar requests. The SEC declined to comment.

Advertisement

Analysts said the renewal of the public battle between Musk and the top US securities regulator will be an overhang on Tesla's stock, which has lost about one-quarter of its value since peaking in August.

Advertisement

"Another boxing match with the SEC is the last thing investors wanted to see," wrote Daniel Ives, an analyst at Wedbush Securities who has an "outperform" rating on Tesla.

He called the latest incident "a wild card that could potentially bring this tornado of uncertainty back into the Tesla story until resolved."

Advertisement

Tesla shares closed 0.3 percent lower at $297.86 (roughly Rs. 21,300) on the Nasdaq. They had fallen as much as 3.3 percent earlier.

SEC says tweets not vetted
The SEC contempt motion followed Musk's tweet to his more than 24 million Twitter followers on Feb. 19: "Tesla made 0 cars in 2011, but will make around 500k in 2019," meaning 500,000 vehicles.

Advertisement

According to the SEC, Musk violated his October 2018 settlement agreement by sending that tweet without first seeking approval from Tesla's lawyers.

It also said the outlook contrasted with guidance that Tesla had given on Jan. 30 that it would deliver about 400,000 vehicles in 2019.

The settlement resolved an SEC lawsuit over another Twitter post in which Musk said he had "funding secured" to take his Palo Alto, California-based company private at $420 per share.

Musk agreed to step down as Tesla's chairman, and both he and Tesla agreed to pay $20 million civil fines.

Four hours after his Feb. 19 tweet, Musk corrected himself, saying annualised production would probably be around 500,000 by year end, with full-year deliveries totalling 400,000.

Bradley Bondi, a lawyer for Tesla, had told the SEC in a Feb. 22 letter that Musk thought the substance of his first tweet had been "appropriately vetted, pre-approved, and publicly disseminated."

Potential punishment
It is not clear what punishment the SEC will seek.

The regulator could seek a higher fine, further restrictions on Musk's activities, or removal of him from Tesla's board.

Alternatively, it could seek to ban Musk from being a public company officer, which would force him to step down as Tesla's chief executive.

It also is not clear how Musk's public criticism of the SEC might weigh on his fate.

The criticism continued on Tuesday, when Musk tweeted in the early morning: "Something is broken with SEC oversight."

That followed his Monday night tweet, after the contempt motion was filed, that the "SEC forgot to read Tesla earnings transcript, which clearly states 350k to 500k," and added: "How embarrassing."

Musk appeared to be referring to his Jan. 30 comment to analysts that Tesla would produce "maybe on the order of 350,000 to 500,000 Model 3s, something like that this year."

Criticising the SEC is nothing new for Musk.

He has called the regulator the "Shortseller Enrichment Commission," recalling his attacks against hedge funds and other investors who sell Tesla stock short, hoping it will fall.

And in a December interview with CBS's "60 Minutes," Musk said he did not have respect for the SEC. He also said his tweets had not been reviewed in advance since the settlement.

© Thomson Reuters 2019

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  3. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  4. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  5. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  6. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  7. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.