Apple iPod Trial Continues, Without a Plaintiff for Now

Advertisement
By Associated Press | Updated: 9 December 2014 09:14 IST
In an unusual legal twist, a federal judge decided Monday that a billion-dollar, class-action lawsuit over Apple's iPods should continue, even though she also disqualified the last remaining plaintiff named in a case that has been on trial since last week.

U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers scolded Marianna Rosen and her attorneys on Monday for not providing more complete information about the iPods Rosen had purchased. That came after Apple lawyers successfully argued that the devices purchased by Rosen were not among those affected by the lawsuit.

But the judge also rejected Apple's argument that the case should be dismissed because it's too late to name a new plaintiff. She ordered the attorneys suing Apple to identify a new person, by Tuesday, who can serve as a lead plaintiff.

Both sides estimate about 8 million people bought iPods that are potentially affected by the lawsuit, which focuses on Apple's use of restrictive software that prevented iPods from playing music purchased from competitors of Apple's iTunes store. The plaintiffs say that amounted to unfair competition and that Apple was able to sell iPods at inflated prices because the software froze makers of competing devices out of the market.

Advertisement

While the plaintiffs argue the overcharges amounted to $350 million (roughly Rs. 2,166 crores), Apple could be ordered to pay triple that amount if the jury finds it violated federal antitrust rules.

Advertisement

While the plaintiffs' lawyers represent the entire class of 8 million, class-action rules say the suit must identify at least one person as a "named plaintiff" who suffered the losses or injuries alleged in the case. Rosen had previously said she purchased several iPods that qualified, but Apple attorneys produced evidence that those devices either had the wrong software or were purchased outside the time frame of the lawsuit. A series of pretrial rulings had narrowed the case to covering just 19 months between September 2006 and March 2009.

Late last week, Rosen and her attorneys said she had purchased two other iPods in 2008. But Apple lawyers produced records that showed they were purchased with a credit card issued to the law firm of Rosen's husband. Apple attorney William Isaacson argued that meant she was not legally the purchaser.

Advertisement

Judge Rogers ruled late Monday that Rosen's purchases are "inadequate" to represent the whole class. And the judge showed impatience at having to deal with the question after jurors had already heard a week of testimony.

"I am troubled," the judge said, citing Rosen's failure to adequately account for her iPod purchases and "the failure of plaintiffs' counsel themselves to investigate sufficiently." But the judge said she has an obligation to the "millions of absent class members" to let the case continue if another lead plaintiff can be identified.

Advertisement

Two other plaintiffs had earlier withdrawn because their iPods were not covered by the lawsuit.

Plaintiffs' attorney Bonny Sweeney said her office has heard from a number of volunteers since the issue made headlines last week. "There are plaintiffs who stand willing and ready to step in and we will have them in court tomorrow," she told the judge.

The judge curtly ordered Sweeney to give the candidates' names to Apple's lawyers Monday night, so Apple can have a chance to review whether they are eligible.

Apple lawyers insisted Monday they weren't happy about discovering the glitch. Although he argued in court briefs that the suit would have to be dismissed, Isaacson told the judge Monday, "We want to win this case on the merits." Outside court, he told reporters the issue may eventually be decided by a court of appeal.

When asked whether Apple plans to investigate the qualifications of any new plaintiff, Isaacson answered with one word: "Completely."

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  3. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  4. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  5. Xiaomi Civi 6 Could Launch in China Soon With Customisable AI Shortcut Key
  6. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.